cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ChiefNoob
Level 1
7 4 0 4
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Omen - Random Freezes

HP Recommended
LAPTOP HP OMEN 15-5000NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

I bought a second hand HP Omen a couple of days ago (perfect condition), I deleted the recovery partition so I get extra space (I would like to consider myself good enough with computers to never need it) and than I installed windows 10, after reading through the forums here I was able to get all drivers installed and working properly.

Everything is great so far except the random 10-30 second duration hangs/freezes on the application I am using. I mostly play online poker from this laptop and the freezes make me lose hands occasionally which is a big no no (I lose a lot of money long term). I also experienced it while watching a movie and browsing. Only the application I am using is freezing, I can always Alt+Tab and everything is working fine.

I installed and ran the UEFI Bios Diagnostic Tool and there is no error whatsoever, I would make a fresh install if not for the fact I know this issue will arise again according to what other members of this forum say.

So my question is, how will this get fixed ? My only suspicion is that it's something with the drivers, but what can I do... Will HP release a fix ? Nobody actually knows what's wrong with these random hangs according to what I read on this topic: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Omen-system-hangs/td-p/4990788

Secondary non-related question: Since I bought this laptop from a random guy on the internet, he did not gave me any paperwork. In my HP Assistant it says I have almost 2 years left of my warranty, but can I really benefit from it if I don't have the warranty certificate and the purchase bill ?

Thank you,

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
Gorghino
Level 3
45 40 3 4
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ChiefNoob; I'm one of the lucky guys with freezes with HP OMEN 🙂
We're waiting for a fix ASAP in order to use our 1900€ laptop without becoming crazy...

I sent the laptop to assistance twice and I needed only my serial number when I called the phone assistance.

TomMacGovery
Level 2
32 32 0 5
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm one of those guys too 😄

We all Hope HP will show some action in the absolute near future?!?!

0 Kudos
ChiefNoob
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 4
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After googling the error I get in event viewer, a possible solution that worked for someone was to change the Power Plan from Balanced to High Performance, I enabled it and will post my results later or tommorow.

0 Kudos
TomMacGovery
Level 2
32 32 0 5
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is something I tried as well. Tried every possible Power Plan (even the default HP one), running on High Performance right now, still the freezes. Seems to be an Windows 8/10 Problem with the Omen

See: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Event-ID-129-storahci-followed-by-153-ca...

HP needs to get a BIOS/Chipset fix out...

0 Kudos
gadgetboi
Level 3
17 16 3 12
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For the Omen Random freezes - Not only did I switch power plans but also disabled(turned to off) the PCI express linked power management as outlined in the link below for High Performance and HP recommended.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2013/06/21/event-id-129-storachi-reset-to-device-devi...

This resolved the 129 & 153 events

lag1.jpg

I also had a number of Service Control Manager events which caused a 10sec lag for each event.

lag2.jpg

For these, I went through and disabled all background apps not needed and also set the privacy setting to match my needs particularly  the syncing options. Whatever was done here had a postive effect as I only see maybe 1 error every so often.

These are only meant to be temporary fixes until HP/MS Win 10 updates are released.

0 Kudos
TomMacGovery
Level 2
32 32 0 5
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is something I already did (turned PCI Express Linked Power off...) but still - 129 & 153 are there.

HP, mind to play hide and seek - or would you be so kind to answer us? -.-

Can't be that hard...

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation