cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Rebington
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP Omen - processor/ video issues?

HP Recommended
HP Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My one year old HP Omen (Intel Core 2.50Ghz CPU, Nvidia 860M GPU, 8.00GB RAM) periodically stops being able to play any kind of game that requires video or detailed graphics.

When working the laptop plays even the most graphics heavy games beautifully but for no reason I can understand it stops working for a week or two at a time and becomes only able to handle the most basic of games. Newer games fail to load, crash and are unplayably slow. Then without any obvious reason it'll start working again.

I've tried updating all drivers (especially the Nvidia drivers), have reset the system, etc' and it makes no difference. 

You can probably tell from this post that I'm technically inept but any advice or recommendations would be really appreciated as I currently have a very expensive, good looking word prcoessor. Thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,950 42,190 4,642 12,404
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Connect the power adapter. Press the power button and then immediately begin tapping the F2 key.

At the menu choose and run the system test. Be sure to choose the extensive version.

If there are no issues reported it is time to run a factory image recovery.

Save all of your important files to an external storage device.

Find your game installers.  

Use the recovery flash drive that you should have created by now to reinstall the original Windows version to your Omen's SSD drive.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
Rebington
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks a lot for the help...

System test didnt show any problems so I'll run the factory image recovery - how do i do that?

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Factory image recovery can be run from the HP Recovery Manager.

The HP Recovery Manager can be accessed by booting to  the recovery flashdrive you created or from powering on  your notebook with an F11 keystroke.

Before you begin an HP recovery, make certain that you have saved all important data that you do not want to lose to external storage media. 

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
GarrettROt
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I know this is an old post, but THANK YOU! This is the only thing that worked for me! For almost a year I've had problems, until this thread! Ty again! 😄
0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GarrettROt wrote:
I know this is an old post, but THANK YOU! This is the only thing that worked for me! For almost a year I've had problems, until this thread! Ty again! 😄

You're welcome. The original author never popped up again. I am glad that it helped someone.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation