Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-5010nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a strange problem, and I have spent many night trying to solve it.

When my omen is plugged in, on the charger that came with the laptop, the processor speed gets down to 0.78 Ghz.

When I remove the a/c cable, within 2 seconds, the processor speed goes all the way to 3.4 ghz.

I have tried many things, many power settings, to no avail. The battery saver option is turned off, and I am running on the High Performance power plan, with all possible power saving turned way off.

I have updated to the latest firmware, but I cannot see an Intel Speedstep of any other setting that might make me think it is configured to save power.

When the ac is plugged in and the computer is on, the light next to the ac is white.

When the ac is plugged in and the computer is off, the light next to the ac is amber.

When the ac is plugged in and the computer is on, the tooltip on the battery icon say "94% plugged in, not charging"

My omen despite all the configuration I tried is acting in reverse, fast on battery, slow when plugged in.

The only thing I could think of, is the power brick is somehow unable to provide enough juice and the laptop decides to underclock. I'll have to test the current coming out to validate this.

Has anyone seen such problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

jayftee

Uninstall the Old intel HD and Nvidia driver

update your windows 10 drivers and bios include the Chipset drivers

install the new HP Support Assistant for the drivers

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72974.exe

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

go2,

I installed the HP Support Assistant to see what it would say about the drivers Windows 10 managed to find.

I installed every single driver the assistant suggested. But before that, I went ahead and installed the latest HP System Diagnostic in the UEFI bios, and then installed the latest bios.

I used the System Diagnostic and ran component tests and system tests (quick) and both the battery and the ac adapter passed the tests.

I ran off the battery for a while, and then plugged back the ac for the quick test. Not being in windows, being in the UEFI bios, I checked the light next to the ac adapter, and it was white.  

If the problem is in windows, I expected the light to be amber, meaning, charging (while being in the UEFI bios), but it was not, it was white. Well I assume the laptop would charge itself when being in the BIOS, I assume that.

So having all the HP suggested drivers, with the system diagnostics telling me everything is fine, what else is there to do or try?

Thank you

HP Recommended

jayftee

perform a hard reset

and install the new HP System Event Utility

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71716.exe

is the battery over "92% plugged in, do not charging is normal

use the System with battery wait for 50% an charging the battery

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I installed the HP System Event Utility. 

In the Windows Event Logs, there was an error saying:

"The HPWMISVC service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive service. This service may not function properly."

So, after digging, I found this:

"If you must run a legacy application that installs an interactive service on Windows Server 2012, you may sacrifice server stability for compatibility by changing the following registry value from the default of "1" to "0".

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
NoInteractiveServices

After doing so and rebooting, the Interactive Services Detection Service will start."

Sure enough, after rebooting the system, no more HPWMISVC errors.

Using prime95, and cranking a stress test, I drained the battery to 44% in just under 20 minutes.

During the prime95 stress test, the fans spun real hard to cool the laptop, but the system was still responsive.

The after a 4 minutes cool down period, I did shutdown the machine, unplugged the ac, did hold the power button for 15 seconds, then once logged in windows, I plugged in the ac cable.

Same as before, the light next to the ac jack is white, and my processor speed was stuck as 0.78 Ghz in Task Manager.

Was this what you wanted me to try?

Thank you for your help.

Jeff

HP Recommended

if you change the registry is your problem

check the system and  install the optionl updates

-SFC /scannow

- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

-Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

you have guarantee use it

HP Recommended

The checks returned nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe I should have specified that the operating system installed on the machine was done thru the use of a USB key containing a Microsoft MSDN Windows 10 Enterprise image and not originated from a Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 free upgrade.

The Windows 10 installation was a 100% system wipe, including any and all existing partition that were originally on the laptop. The installation was done about a week ago.

Jeff

HP Recommended

Jeff

you had not all drivers installed

Install HP OMEN Central Ops

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69001-69500/sp69109.exe

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70894.exe

is the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver 11.0.0.1155 Rev.E installed?

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72290.exe

ENERGY STAR Qualified Power Plan

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66001-66500/sp66123.exe

HPWMISVC =HP Quick Launch Buttons

Uninstall the HP Wireless Button Driver

reboot

install the new HP Wireless Button Driver

HP Recommended

All my diagnostics pointed me towards a bad power brick.

As it turned out, the pin in the power barrel was bent.

Making a wrong contact, the laptop did not have enough juice to charge while running.

I found it when I went to use a multimeter to validate the power output.

problem solved.

There was no need of any HP driver of software for this perticular problem.

I went all the way back to install Windows 8 (not 8.1) to validate this, and Windows 8 ran with generic drivers flawlessly.

Thank you for the help.

Jeff

HP Recommended

very cool

is not a cheap system

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.