Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
PGarner Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Service Refund - is it a scam?

Envy 17 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received a call from HP Support (caller ID said Hewlett Packard 800-474-6836. They guy tells me they want to refund me for service I paid $150 for on August 28, 2016. He knew what type of laptop I had and asked me to turn it on and get to the desktop. He then passed me to the Refund Manager, who asked me to open Google Chrome and type in supremo and then enter.

I was suspicious and put him on hold to google HP scams. I guess I took too long an he hung up. Is this a scam?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
99219 13581 20935
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi:

The call you received is from a scammer, not HP. 

HP will never call anyone out of the blue.

The scammers even have the ability to spoof the phone number as showing that it is from HP (1-800-474-6836 is a legitimate HP support line in the USA/Canada).  In other words, if you were to call that number, you would get HP, but that is not HP calling you.

HP has released this notice regarding this ongoing issue.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05404707

Provost Provost
Provost
22757 3102 7498
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@PGarner

That is a SCAM.

It is one that is going around at this time.

No legitimate HP representative will call you unless you called them first!!!!

REO

****Click the Blue thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and Registered Microsoft Partner
JoJoDo Top Student
Top Student
1 0 2
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I too have been receiving these calls and took it to be a scam right from the get go.  Fortunately they are calling my cell phone so I just keep blocking the numbers.  What I would like to know, which has not yet been addressed here.....  How is it that these scammers have gotten hold of the information from HP?  They know our phone numbers, what we paid for our extended warranties and I hope not a whole lot more.  I tried to find someone to talk to directly but couldn't find the correct number to push for the complaints department.  HP please take better care of your customer information!!

MsJMSlater318 Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Greetings,

I decided to go online to see if there were any of us who received these calls now in 2018 . . . I just received one today 3/5/2018 from phone number 800 Service - 844-370-6818. 

I believe this person has been calling my home number since October/November 2017 and every time he has called, I would ask him to explain to me in detail what service/part he's referring to, why does he need my information/serial number to send my so-called refund, and how did he get my home number when I didn't have this particular number at the time of purchase!  This person tried to explain that he needed the serial number to verify my refund . . . really . . . I said to him that he was doing fine so far considering he was able to locate my NON-PUBLISHED home number that I didn't even own when I ordered my computer . . . .

Today I didn't feel like playing mind games with him and going back and forth.  I just finally said to him to remove me from the list, do not call this number again, and I'm contacting HP today to verify a so-called refund -- he hangs up.  I hope he doesn't try calling again but I have a strange feeling this will continue . . . .

Imntatxi Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

April 13/2018 

Many times previously receiving calls from supposed HP representatives to fix my computer. They knew everything, my name, model, ip address, ..

I had only called for repair once while my unit was under warranty. I have never paid for extra monitoring of "virus or repair" issues. Thankfully, I never fell for that!! 

After, getting so many calls, sometimes 2-3 in one day from different people, I finaly told them I do not own the computer anymore and bought another manufacturer's computer. I didn't, but they're lying to me, so...if the shoe fits....

One day, one dude called me, I, again, said I don't own the computer anymore and I wanted my name off his call list and would appreciate never being called again.

The response I got was "i only called you to say 'I am $%#^ing you'.... he got told back " $%#^ you too!!"

I thought that was the end of the calls, and it was for nearly 2 months, until today...

Today, the call was to refund me my 280.00 which supposedly I paid for continued monitoring.... I stated that I had not paid for any such service (and thankfully again that no unintended charges were incurred to me through any of my payment methods), and further more, again I again stated I did not own the said computer anymore. I advised the caller to never call me again or I would report to police, the call ended from their end first. 

What can someone do to stop these occurances, if we cannot get the info to report them properly? And I do not subscribe to call display anymore, and when I did in the past, their number came up as private.

It's unfortunate that HP is getting a bad rap from these scammers, I love my HP the best, since previously purchasing 2 Acer products (no complains BTW ),however, my HP is far more superior.

0 Kudos
Imntatxi Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

...it will continue, today was the first of the refund scam calls I recieved, however, it had been nearly 1.5 years of getting calls that I needed anti virus updates and they needed to connect remotely, I simply said, if this is legitamate and you seem to know all my info, then send me an email to confirm what is going on and I'll get to it when I get out of bed, I was sleeping at the time of that particular call... nearly 10 pm at night. They were very forceful in insisting that i had to get to my computer at that very moment... I told them NO! 

I find the women callers are the worst, most stubborn and most demanding. 

0 Kudos
koolA1dmann Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Wouldnt you believe that i just got this call as well.  Because i ordered tickets to a flight and my phone didnt consider it spam, i picked up the call.  The first guy was very nice and kind trying to explain how my HP e028us pavilion 15 was purchased 4 years ago would be eligable for a refund of a service and that i needed to open my laptop to follow the instructions.  The thing that got me and that still is making me concerned is... how do they know my exact laptop, my full name and my phone number..  anyways, so they transfer me to the "Floor Supervisor" and the same BS is given to me, but i asked him for an official page to HP's website and the person hung up.  

key tip... dont pick up random numbers... didnt your parents teach you this. 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation