cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Doctor_J
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Keyboard and Touchpad freezing up

HP Recommended
HP OMEN Notebook - 15t-5100 CT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My problems are mainly with the keyboard and touchpad.  The touchpad itself no longer seems to respond, although it SOMETIMES works for a small amount of time if I restart my computer.  The keyboard usually works, but it sometimes also stops working.  The keyboard issue is usually fixed after restarting the laptop.  The touchscreen works perfectly and a usb mouse has no issues.  It seems to only be the keyboard and touchpad.

Also, my computer seems to "freeze" every 5 seconds or so.  It does NOT interrupt video or streaming; it just has a momentary blip where my typing does not work for just a half of a second.  For example, when I try to name a document/folder it will, every 5 seconds or so, stop letting me change/create the name and keep whatever I have just written as the name.  So if I want to rename a word document to "testmonkey123" I can double click on the name, erase what it already has, type "testmonke" before my laptop blips and then the word document is just called "testmonke" as if I hit enter or clicked away.  It also interrupts typing. For example, I will try to type "Hello world, I wish my computer was fixed and had no issues." without stopping:

Ho world, I wish my comp was fixed and had no issues.

Typing is largely a waiting game for the blip to go away.

These blips do not interfere with my usb mouse, nor the playback of videos.  However, it does interrupt typing with the on-screen keyboard.

(Also recently I have had weird trouble with "fullscreen" not excluding the toolbar at the bottom nor the header in chrome.  If I exit out of all chrome windows it seems to fix the issue, however.  I doubt it is related, but I'm saying it just in case it somehow is.)

As for when this problem started, it began after I accidentally left my computer on a flat ping-pong table until it died.  Once I plugged it back in and booted it up, the touchpad stopped responding after about a minute and these "blips" started occurring. 

Any idea what the problem is? BTW I do have a 3 year warranty (2 years remaining) in case I need to pursue that route. If I do, any suggestions on where to start/how to do that?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 13,056 716 1,915
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Doctor_J,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

This is a wonderful location to converse with  the community, get assistance and find tips. For you to have a rewarding experience, I would like to include the following link for your perusal and reference: 

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that after leaving your notebook on a flat ping pong table until it died, your keyboard and mouse is slow to respond and is causing you hardships when typing.  

Have you done all your Windows updates?  Have your run the HP Support Assistant ?   Have you run the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you checked for viruses and malware?

MS Malicious Software Removal Tool

Here are two links which may also be of assistance:

HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

If the issue remains, you could try a restore back to before this occurred:

HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

You could also try installing the original driver using the recovery manager:

HP PCs - Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 10).

Last would be to do a full recovery back to factory settings:

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

As you are in warranty, before doing a recovery, you could contact HP Support for assistance.  With your permission, they can remotely access your system to help find and fix issues.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please let me know the results.

Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution"button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy

Sparkles1

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation