cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
goofygoober
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Laptop gets really hot without doing much.

HP Recommended
Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pretty much self-explanatory title. Only a few months after purchasing the omen (Sept 2015) my laptop would get really hot even whilst doing basic things like Word, Facebook etc.

I usually keep the fans up on highest now, as well as using a cooler, but it just seems unusual for it to run so hot, even without intense programs running.

I should add that I have AutoCAD installed and use it for uni, as well as programs from CreativeCloud (photoshop, InDesign etc), and have also done a complete reset of the laptop three times now...

It also seems that I can't physically open the bottom of the laptop to manually inspect fans...

While the product is still under warranty, should I just get it sent in or...?

1 REPLY 1
Tyler_Johnson
Level 3
54 50 0 11
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello! 

If your computer's air vents are on the sides (not on the bottom):

My laptop is the same way. I'd suggest the Opolar LCO5 Laptop Cooler. It's works so much better than a cooling pad and the RPM on the fan is pretty good. Makes little noise as well. 

Opolar LC05 Laptop Cooler - Very afforable and I have one myself, works really well, had mine for about 6 months now.

This should help from your laptop constintly over heating. 

If you are looking for more of a permanent solution, I recommend that you add new Thermal Compound on your CPU to lower the heat. Also cleaning the dust off your CPU Fan helps as well. 

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 

"It also seems that I can't physically open the bottom of the laptop to manually inspect fans..."

If you need helping disassembling your laptop, please provide the Product Number of your Laptop (Usually underneath the battery) and the name of your computer. Please understand that some manufacturers void your warrenty if signs of disassembily show. 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation