I was digging around the registry to backup my Omen Control Center profile and stumbled upon an entry titled "UnderChassis" in the lighting section.
Specific location is : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP OMEN Control\Profiles\Default Profile\Lighting
I am curious if this my be the solution to changing the color ( or disabling ) the rear exhaust LED! I would test this myself; however, I unplugged these LED's from the motherboard when I got the computer. I don't have time to open up this laptop tonight since I leave for vacation tomorrow, so I won't have a chance to test this for about a week.
I know people have been looking for a solution for this, so if anyone want's to test this out and report back here I certainly would appreciate it. I will try to check this thread a few times while I am on the road.
Firstly, thanks for all of your suggestions and help on the other topic, I managed to get everything working with the Omen Control Software. (Except the FN+F and FN+T functions that enable/disable the fans and touchscreen. Please do let me know if you have a solution for this)
Regarding changing the rear exhaust fan lighting, I did some testing but it seems that the LED color for them won’t change whatsoever.
I tried changing the key value to a different hex color but the LED remains red.
I tried changing the LED color for other zones from the register and it worked perfectly fine but it seems we will have to live with the red color for zone 8 (atleast for now).
However, I did figure out something else which might interest some people;
In addition to animated speakers, I managed to make the keyboard and rear exhaust LEDs animate as well and I guess they look pretty cool while playing music in the dark.
For people who might be interested in this here is what I did:
1) Open HP Omen Control software and create a new profile (don't delete your old profile). Name the new profile "keyboard" or anything that suits you.
2) Select the colors that you want.
3) Press the windows key and type REGEDIT, hit enter and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP OMEN Control\Profiles\keyboard\Lighting (where keyboard will be the name of the new profile that you created)
4) On the right-hand side window, right click the AnimatedKeyboard registry key and click Modify. Replace the Value Data 0 with 1 and click OK.
5) Close the Registry Editor and open HP Omen Control again. Select your old profile first and let it load the settings, colors etc., and then switch to your new profile (in this case: "keyboard").
6) That’s it! The keyboard LEDs and the exhaust LEDs should now animate with music/sounds.
Hope it works for you guys as well. If there are any issues do post a reply and I will try to help you out as far as I can.
I hope HP looks into adding further features and expanding the functionality of the HP Omen Control software as well as fixing the remaining bugs such as the FN+F and FN+T keys to directly enable and disable the fans and touchscreen.
Hope we get the functionality to change the exhaust LED colors as well.