cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GlennMiller
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Omen BIOS Update appears to be hanging!

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

When I did a restart on my Omen, it launched a BIOS update without warning (not a good thing, in my opinion).

It did tell me the screen would go black and the LEDs would flicker and I saw it go through that process. Now, the screen is black and the LEDs are fully lit in red and I hear the fan churning. How long should I expect it to take? It's been more than 1/2 hour. Is there any way to tell if it is still working?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
JJLuvzU
Level 4
Level 4
93 92 3 34
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Glenn,

The BIOS upate is probably obtained from HP Support Assistant, it downloads all critical updates from HP by default.  You can change the default setting in the application, so it doesn't auto-download or auto-install updates for you.

As for the "hang" from BIOS update, normally it should not take more than 5 mins.  If the system has been there for 1/2 hour, I'd suggest to to hold the power button to shut it down for a reboot.  (blopper does happen once in a while...)

"Appreicate a Kudo if you like my post or find it useful."
0 Kudos
FabioFilardi
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Glenn.

I choose to update manually, but I had exactly the same problem with the  laptop hanging in the same situation. After 5 min I pressed the power key to reboot, and everything seems to be be fine.

But my VMWare is not running my virtual machines anymore, conflicts with my memory. I'm almost sure that this was because the BIOS update. I'll try to downgrade to the previous version, if I find it.

Cheers

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation