Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-ax033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Issues caused me to send it to tech suppot where a system reset was done.  When it came back...no room on drive C for a restore/recovery to go back on and not even enough space for Windows 10 updates!  118 GB disk one with only 134mb free.  HUGE 917 on disk 2 D (data) drive not used.  I do not have enough knowledge to know what to do now and am afraid of messing this up.  TOTALLY usuable the way it is and I can't get my restore back onto it.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Looks like some old stuff may have been left on the drive.

Cleaning out your PC on a regular basis frees up drive space and helps it run better. One of the easiest ways to clean up files you no longer need is by using Disk Cleanup.

1. Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, select Disk Cleanup.
  2. If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then select OK.
  3. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box in the Description section, select Clean up system files.
  4. If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then select OK.
  5. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the file types that you want to delete, and then select OK. To remove data from a previous installation of Windows, select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box. (I advise to just select all the check boxes.)
  6. In the message that appears, select Delete files.
  7. Go back to Computer in File Explorer, select the drive you cleaned up, and then select Refresh. If you need to free more space (the drive is still marked red), go to the next tip.

This should clear ya right up!

Let me know if you have any issues!

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

They restored it back to factory settings, so there really was no accumulation like that you are talking about.  I ran Ccleaner and did what you suggest right off the bat.  problem really being this machine has 2 disks and 2 drives.  I am confused why everything is supposed to be  on drive C with NO SPACE for it.  I finally put my backup and then adjusted settings so any new installations go on drive D with all that open space.  Didn't seem it should be that way, but everything is running fast, hp updates happened and waiting to see if Windows 10 updates can happen and where they will go. I now have more space on C as I moved things around.  So color me scared but functional.  Ii do not like this mess which is like scambled eggs.  I like a clean file system and to know here everything is.  Not sure how that is gonna happen.  If you have suggestions, let me know.

HP Recommended

A 128 GB drive is just enough to get by these days, but it will fill up fast.
All programs, by default, will want to be installed there. (Apps like Chrome and MS Office don't give you a choice.)

I was hoping there may have been a Windows.old in C:\ that could be removed and free up a tonne of space.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Nope.  Very puzzled why a new laptop with 2 disks would not be better configured to begin with.  And of course, these days they don't give you a manual.  Wait until you hve a problem then go seeking one...  You really have to have pretty good computer skills and not just want to use the thing!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.