cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mr_winson1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Random FPS drop in game multiplayer

HP Recommended
OMEN 17-w007tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been purchasing this computer for around 2 months.  My computer experience random fps drops (from 60 to 15) during games. I am currently playing Warframe, when I play solo, I never have this issue. This issue only occurs when I play with my friends with the same network. My brother bought the same laptop but this random fps drop issue never occur.

I have been trying to fix it by lowering the graphic setting in the game and updating both the intel graphic driver and nvidia driver.

Please let me know what can I do with this issue. It is irritating and makes the game nearly unplayable which is different from what I expected from a gaming device with the these parts.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @mr_winson1, Welcome to HP forums,

I understand that there is random FPS drop while playing multiplayer games on your laptop.

Please update the latest BIOS and graphics driver from the link below.

Link to update BIOS.

Link to update graphics driver.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Jungleweed
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same laptop and the same issue in different games - I believe there is TDP throttling on the chipset when the graphics card is at full bore and the CPU is as well - I have the latest BIOS and nVidia drivers. I am using ThrottleStop to disable the i7 Turbo and this drastically reduces the frequency that these lag spikes occur without affecting overall FPS much but I would like HP to actually investigate a proper solution to this.
I always see the 'update nVidia drivers' or 'change performance settings in power options' explanation but these solutions don't work and are quite frankly barking up the wrong tree - this drop is CPU related and that's why the sound is affected when it occurs which usually isn't the case if its just the GPU not keeping up.

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Jungleweed, thanks for the response.

As you mentioned that even after updating BIOS and graphics drivers the issue still persists.

Please try installing the graphics driver directly from NVIDIA website and check if it makes any difference.

You can use this link and download the right driver for your laptop: http://bit.ly/2gJzyYk

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Jungleweed
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MrRobot

I have gone through the trouble of reinstalling the integrated and dedicated graphics card drivers for my laptop from the HP website and they have made  no difference to the problem. What else can you suggest?

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Jungleweed, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned that issue still persists after troubleshooting.

I have checked the records and there is known article regarding this issue.

The fix would be to update BIOS and if the issue still persists. Replace the adapter with a 150W adapter.

Please find the part number for the adapter below.

SPS-150W ADPTR PFC SMART 4.5mm SLIM

776620-001

Hope this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Jungleweed
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot. I am already running the F.09 Rev.A BIOS. I have found that the best solution for me at the moment is to go choose RUN>MSCONFIG>BOOT>ADVANCED OPTIONS>NUMBER OF PROCESSORS>6. This obviously disables an entire core of the i7 6700HQ CPU - but the constant lagging and framerate drops disappear. It supports my suspicion that there is a TDP limitation somewhere - as you have alluded to with the suggestion to buy a more powerful powersupply. However, what I cannot understand is whether or not this should really be an issue covered under warranty? Is my unit only affected or does this affect everyone, and people assume it's a graphics limitation and don't realize what is happening? A basic game like Dirt Rally will not run smoothly in 3rd person view on any settings, surely more people should have noticed? It is obviously disappointing to be paying for premium components that are hamstrung by inadequate power provisioning.

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jungleweed, thanks for the response.

According to the article.

The computer may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms:
When the temperature reaches OTP (over temperature protection), the CPU will throttle and the computer exhibits limited CPU/GPU performance.
The information in this document applies to the following:
Computers:
OMEN by HP 15-ax000 Laptop PC
OMEN by HP 17-W000 Laptop PC

SPS-150W ADPTR PFC SMART 4.5mm SLIM
776620-001

Please contact HP you should get a replacement adapter according to the article.

Link to contact HP.

Have  a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Jungleweed
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rocketthrottleHWINFO.jpg

I have played a match of Rocket League while recording the CPU speed, CPU temperature, GPU speed and GPU temperature to illustrate how I cannot get through one match without severe throttling issues. As you can see, the purple dots mark where the greatest throttling occurs (making the game unresponsive for a few seconds). These dots don't appear to be correlated with anything really - not max CPU temp or anything. Firstly thermal throttling should be occuring at much higher temperatures - probably around 90 degrees. Secondly when I am running CPU benchmarks with no GPU load I do not encounter any thermal throttling despite a fully loaded CPU. So why does it happen when gaming? There must be a power draw limitation on the board itself or the power supply!

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jungleweed, thanks for the response.

As you mentioned that the issue still persists. 

It could be a hardware issue there is nothing much we can do, Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have  a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation