cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JasminJade
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Smart AC Adapter

HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've been getting the following message on screen

The Smart AC Adapter connected will power your computer, but potentially at a reduced performance level. Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected.  Resource intensive tasks may cause your system not to perform at its highest level with a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter.  Please connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter for full performance.

however I bought this HP Omen start of January, its essentially still brand new and came with a 120W charger which is exactly what I have plugged into my laptop when this message pops up. It didnt happen from day one only within the last week or so but still why am I getting this message at all?! I'm assuming it means my charger isnt optimal for my laptop.. but then why would the charger that came with the laptop not be the one best suited for its use?

Please help!

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,951 42,191 4,642 12,405
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There may be a problem with your power adapter.

I will ask to have your issue escalated.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
george-p
Retired
Retired
15,312 9,281 123 369
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JasminJade ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publically post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
0 Kudos
JJLuvzU
Level 4
Level 4
93 92 3 34
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jasmin,

If you look closely at the adapter head, you can see a tiny needle pin in the center.  If the pin is bended/damaged, it might be the reason why you're getting the message.

"Appreicate a Kudo if you like my post or find it useful."
0 Kudos
Kimikaze
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The same pop-up message just happened to me for the first time and I've had this HP Omen since January.  I checked the tiny pin in the adapter plug and it looks fine. I can see that my laptop is getting power because the battery icon shows  it's plugged in.

0 Kudos
tinazm
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought a new Omen two weeks ago, and I received this message twice, as well.

This also came with 120w p/s, the pin looks ok, and it is charging.

But I am worried that from time to time it might be operating at a lower performance.

Was there a solution to this?

thanks/regards

0 Kudos
Quintix256
Level 2
12 8 1 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same problem here. Refurbished HP Pavilion 17-F001DX  ordered from Microcenter. Got that message when I first plugged it in after buying it and just now. The thing is the powersupply is rated for 45 watts, but my KillAWatt shows it drawing 25 watts from the wall, often less, and at most 30 under load.

I just don't think my laptop draws that much power, and the message is the result of a bug somewhere.

0 Kudos
mbridgett
4 2 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have noticed this on my Omen laptop - this is nearly (at least for me) caused by the cable at the back of the laptop having worked itself slightly out of the socket - or sometimes the cable going into the power supply itself has worked slightly out.  Key thing is when you get the message to check if the laptop thinks it's still on mains power or not, just push the mains cable back into the power supply and the cable into the laptop fully. 

0 Kudos
deedle2038
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with me brand new (to me) HP Pavilion, purchased from an authorized HP reseller. it's a great machine, but this message (which appears every time the cord is reconnected, and also every time the machine wakes from sleep) is truly worrisome. 

should I just get rid of this one? or can it actually be repaired?

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,951 42,191 4,642 12,405
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mbridgett wrote:

I have noticed this on my Omen laptop - this is nearly (at least for me) caused by the cable at the back of the laptop having worked itself slightly out of the socket - or sometimes the cable going into the power supply itself has worked slightly out.  Key thing is when you get the message to check if the laptop thinks it's still on mains power or not, just push the mains cable back into the power supply and the cable into the laptop fully. 

@mbridgett

My current HP product loan Omen 15 does the very same thing on occasion. 

My solution is exactly the same as yours and works every time!

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation