cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JamesHackett162
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Swapping out Graphics card on HP Envy 17-k251na

HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-k251na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello! I have a feeling that i may have been given the wrong information by the assistant i bought my machine from in PC world... 

I was assured i would be able to swap out my graphics card, which is a 
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M (4 GB DDR3 dedicated)

and upgrade. 

I was also told i could upgrade the processor. 

I've been told by a few people that this simply isn't true and to upgrade the Graphics Card i'd need a whole new motherboard... but the term "dedicated" is what's confusing me... am i wrong in thinking that it works seperately and the term "intergrated" means that it's part of the motherboard? 

I spent a lot of money on this laptop on the premis of what the assistant told me! Ultimately that i would be able to upgrade this laptop as time went on. (I want to primarly want to use this for gaming) 

I'm hoping what people are telling me is all hear say.. it doesn't seem to make sence to me that i can choose between two different graphics cards to run games with and they'd BOTH be intergrated into the mother board....

The other one that's in my machine is an Intel Graphics HD 5500. 

Also this machine has a 1 TB HDD and an 8GB SSD, i'd like to also swap out for a larger SSD... i was also told that this was possible. 

Hoping for good news here, any help woud be appreciated! 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,687 44,464 7,168 12,712
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Right now the links to your product manual are down but assuming the 17-k200 series is like the 17-k000 and 17-k100 series there is no easy access to the hard drives and memory. That is, no customer accessible panels on the bottom you can open by just removing a screw. Further, there is no graphics "card" to just "swap out". "Dedicated" and "integrated" refer to the use of memory. An integrated video card shares system memory; i.e. the RAM supplied by the RAM modules you clip into the RAM slots. Dedicated video memory is memory built into the video chip. On a laptop, both kinds of video cards are soldered to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded. Your laptop has "switchable" graphics and most definitely has two different video chips soldered onto different places on the motherboard.

As for the processor, you already have one of the newest and best laptop processors offered. The video you have is also pretty top-notch. I am always a bit baffled by people who buy a laptop with the idea of upgrading it. Laptops just do not work that way. Components are way crazy expensive. Your processor is so new there are none to be purchased but when it does become available it will be over $350. On the very few super expensive engineering and high-end gaming laptops that do have a kind of removeable graphics card (mxm) high-end ones run at least $450. So even if you could do the upgrades, which you cannot, you would be looking at over $1000 with labor. I understand people do not appreciate the cold reality of this. 

And just to hit you with more bad news, on your model the CPU might be soldered to the motherboard so it cannot be upgraded at all. I can confirm when your Manual is back online. 

Upgrading memory and changing the hard drive for an SSD also requires extensive complex disassembly. 

You have one of the best consumer laptops on the market. There is just not much upgrade headroom. It sounds like what you really want is a gaming laptop. HP makes one called the Omen which sells for about $1500-1800US, and would be a little stronger than what you have, particularly in the graphics. But even that is kind of a middle of the road thing. You can order a custom gaming laptop from a company like Sager and it is going to cost upwards of $2500 for the very best. Maybe you can complain to PC World and just return the one you have and start over a little wiser for the trouble. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation