cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
emerykaulitz
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Television Not Receiving Signal from Computer

HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-130VX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New HP Omen 870 desktop arrived today; when an HDMI cable leading from the television was attached to the HDMI port in the back of the computer, no signal was given from the computer to the television when powered on. I was wondering if anyone would know why this is/how I can go about fixing this/if it's possible to fix at all? All answers are very welcome and definitely appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
WyreNut
Level 15
16,289 14,807 1,043 2,107
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

After making the connection with the HDMI cable, did you tell the computer to send the signal out the port?  Here's the instructions from your User Guide:

Press the switch screen key, for example f4, to alternate the computer screen image between 4 display states:

● PC screen only: View the screen image on the computer only.

● Duplicate: View the screen image simultaneously on both the computer and the external device.

● Extend: View the screen image extended across both the computer and the external device.

● Second screen only: View the screen image on the external device only.

Each time you press the key, the display state changes.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
emerykaulitz
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should probably mention that I have no other display for the desktop, I figured that because the laptop was able to send signal to the television no problem that the desktop would have no trouble either. I can't press F4 on my keyboard to switch the screen settings because I can't see anything on my screen. Pressing F4 when I plug in a keyboard does nothing, unfortunately. Could it be that because it's new it needs to be set up with a non-TV monitor first?

WyreNut
Level 15
16,289 14,807 1,043 2,107
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I noticed this on the specs page for the motherboard in this PC:

Figure : Thimphu back I/O panel

Thimphu back I/O panel

1. USB 2.0: 2
  2. LAN (Ethernet)
  3. USB 2.0: 2
  4. HDMI: 2 - Not enabled when there is a graphics card installed
  5. USB 3.0: 2
  6. Audio: Line in
  7. Audio: Line out
  8. Audio: Microphone

Does your computer have a graphics card installed?  If so, see note #4 above.

I would highly suggest you attach a computer monitor to set it up correctly.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
emerykaulitz
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer does have a graphics card installed, HDMI would not send signal from it. Also tried the HDMI port from the motherboard, still no signal. Unfortunately, I do not have any other type of display monitor available to use. I called HP Customer Service and they told me that the computer should work from any of the three HDMI ports - the person I was on the phone with said that it should have sent signal automatically without any configuration. I had no choice but to ask to send the computer back in for repair. Very disappointed at what happened, especially with such an expensive computer and when the website states that they make sure the computer works before sending. Here's to hoping that when it comes back it'll be working properly, if not a refund will be in order and that's perfectly okay. Thank you so much for helping me out, I'll be back with an update on the computer when I receive it back from HP in maybe a week and a half to two's time.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation