cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
C_Johnson
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Throttled Performance from AC Adapter?

HP Recommended
HP Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So I have a 6 day old Omen 15. It is a wonderful machine however when I boot up and launch chrome, I get a message stating my pc could potentially be running reduced performance due to underpowered AC adapter. The message is more detailed, but that's the gist of it. Also, I upgraded BIOS to F08 due to flickering screen which was resolved with BIOS update. However, if the message is true I will likely return the pc. Selling a high quality pc with an underpowered AC adapter is unacceptable. Any insight on a correction?

Any help is appreciated,

Cory

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,632 3,568 8,031
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

C_J

Look on the AC adapter for the Volts and Amps.

Then look on the bottom of the laptop "Sometimes under the battery" for the Volts and Amps.

Let us know what you find.

REO

0 Kudos
C_Johnson
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It's a 120w psu. I thought the 90w bricks are the reduced power/smart adapters lol.
0 Kudos
REO51ST
Level 16
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

C_J.

The Volts and Amps should be the same on the AC and on the laptop.

Volts times Amps = Watts

VxA=W

Do they match???

REO

0 Kudos
C_Johnson
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

19.5V*6.15A=119.95W.

The laptop matches the adapter. 

0 Kudos
JJLuvzU
Level 4
Level 4
93 92 3 34
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

120W power adapter is the correct one to use for OMEN 15.

This Smart Adapter warning message sometimes occurs when the AC plug is not "fully" inserted.  If you are certain there is no issue with inserting, then you might want to ask HP to provide another 120W power adapter to ensure it's not caused by broken power adapter.

"Appreicate a Kudo if you like my post or find it useful."
JJLuvzU
Level 4
Level 4
93 92 3 34
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you look closely at the adapter head, you can see a tiny needle pin in the center.  If the pin is bended/damaged, it might be the reason why you're getting the message.

"Appreicate a Kudo if you like my post or find it useful."
REO51ST
Level 16
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IMG_4901#2.jpg

REO

CodySydney
Level 1
7 7 0 2
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think this might help explain it.  It appears that the small pin is used to communicate to the PC what sort of power supply is connected.  If the pin doesn't make contact, the laptop assumes it's not a full strength power supply and alerts the user.

I found that if I very slowly remove the plug from the computer, there's a point where the power supply is still charging the laptop but the pin disengages.  At this point, the laptop alerts me that the power supply isn't a full strength one.  Likewise when reconnecting the power supply, doing it very slowly, at first the laptop screen brightens as it starts to receive mains power, then it warns me the power supply isn't full strength, then as the plug is fully inserted, that pin engages and the warning vanishes.

This supports all the statements about the pin being bent or broken, and also how reconnecting it sometimes works.  If I see that message, I now take it to mean "You fool, you have not connected the power supply plug into the laptop all the way".

gitpickralberta
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THIS FIX WORKED!

HP Envy 17 i7 Win 8.1

I tried everything: updating the bios, and all of the checks that are all over this forum. This post sent me in the right direction to cure this problem......and now I have a "spare" battery!......I tried replacing the battery too. All of the "HP Tests" told me that the battery had failed and that it needed to be replaced. The new battery acted the same way as the original, still working, battery. The symtoms were: It would charge completely when the laptop wasn't running, but wouldn't charge while the computer was on, and the power connected. Who would have thought that a "simple" "bent" pin would cause this much grief. Thank you, so much, Mr. Rio from Provost!! I wish I had seen this first!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation