cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
kippOmen
Level 3
32 30 0 7
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Updated BIOS are flawed on 17-w033dx, possibly others

HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-w033dx

Ive been suffering with frame rate drops, and instability with being unable to maintain frame rates. Heres a snippet from another thread with potentially other issues...

Using Afterburner and RivaTuner for OSD of whats happening, depending on resolution and graphical settings my gpu will start at say 50-60% usage with great frame rates, and then spike all the way up to 99%, frames per second drop dramaticcly, then suddenly gpu usage drops back to "normal" and fps goes up, then gpu usage goes up fps goes down. I am under the imppression it may be a power supply issue. 120W seems just a bit to low.. However, when downgrading to original bios, things stable out.. Problem being, newer bios = better security and apperently better performance.

Run down on quick findings. Im not a guru, just a sour user cause for the last 3 months of owning this ive been unable to actually play games just been die hard trying to get games to work....

F.05 Rev. A : - Provides the initial BIOS release.

This is the original bios and the only bios without lag in the opening scene of Skyrim Special Edition. Was able to run on 1920x1080 @ Ultra and not dip below 30 FPS. Also was running some parts above 50fps. Even when the frame rates were changing it was hard to notice. Fluent.

F.08 Rev.A: - Provides improved system performance during periods of heavy CPU usage.
                       - Provides improved security of UEFI code.

NOTE: HP strongly recommends transitioning promptly to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

This bios introduced the lag. For whatever reason HP strongly recommends changing to this promptly? Maybe some models fair better than others, how ever the 17-w033dx doesnt. 

F.09 Rev A. - Provides improved keyboard behavior when games are played on the system. 

Again, the FPS drops are ridiculous. Unsure how they where able to see improved keyboard usage with decreased gaming performance.

F.25 Rev A. - Provides support for additional notebook models.

No real reason to upgrade to this except for hopes that it can fix the previous three releases issues. The lag is still there.

I guess for the present time, owners of the 17-w033dx will have to stick with the reduced performance during high system use and have lesser security if they would like to actually play AAA games.

I would like to thank am1re for providing me with this hopefully temporary solution.. I would also appreciate HP not recommending udates before testing them, and please, since you have my 1150 dollars already, would you give me the performance I paid for!!!

3 REPLIES 3
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this same unit on the F.05 BIOS that is reported working.

I am upgrading to the F.25 BIOS and will let you know what I find.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
kippOmen
Author
Level 3
32 30 0 7
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New BIOS was uploaded on January 9th, 2017, F.26 Rev A. It has improved SSD performance issues that were related to this unit, possibly others. However there was no change to the game lag that is apperent in all but the original BIOS.

0 Kudos
Boyhowdy1
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree. I have a piece of junk. Never HP for me again.Im getting artifacs and blocking like the video memory is messed up. HP blames it on me upgrading Windows 10 home to pro.Using thier logic, return it to factory image, never connect it to the internet, update any drivers or OS updates. Only use their updates that are rare or nonexistant.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation