cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
daisy678
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Updating Graphics Card help

HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 810-135qe
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to update my graphics card from a Nvidia GeForce GT640 to a GTX1060 and want to make sure the new one is compatible with my computer.  What things do I need to look for?

Here are the specs on my current computer:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64
• 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 processor quad-core [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
• 4GB Nvidia GeForce GT640 [DX11,DVI,DP,HDMI & VGA via adapter]
• 16GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMMs]
• 3TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
• Blu-ray Reader & SuperMulti DVD burner
• 15-in-1 Multi-slot Media Card Reader, 4 USB Ports (Front/Top), Audio [Front 2USB2.0, Top 2USB3.0]
• No TV Tuner Card
• Integrated Sound, Envy Audio; Beats Audio
HP USB keyboard and optical mouse
HP WLAN 802.11 b/g/n Bluetooth(R)(1x1)

Motherboard:

Here is the graphics card I would like to install:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,786 6,769 639 1,531
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

Here are helpful instructions on relace the card.

Three items to solve are:

1. Is PC BIOS UEFI? Your PC is.

2. Will new card fit in tower. The GTX 1060 6.8 inch version graphics cards will fit. Some 1060 cards can be 10.5 inches or longer. You will have a problem installing these longer cards in your PC. EVGA makes a 6.8 inch card. You can also check Zotac, MSI, or Gigabyte brand cards.

3. Good power supply with a six-eight pin PCIE connector. You should have this on the HP 600 watt power supply.

You have windows 7 so UEFI Secure Boot is already disabled as Windows 7 cannot boot on a Secure Boot enabled BIOS.

Please uninstall all current Nvidia graphics drivers before replacing the graphics card. Make sure you run standard VGA graphics driver before add new card.

Grzy

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation