Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 700 430qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't know where else to post this.

I am getting weekly calls from 18004746836  he says he is HP Tech Support and they have been monitoring my PC and I need Repairs Emergency.  I know I don't need anytthing  But these calls are so anoying and I can hardly understand the man.

Can this be HP calling  ?  If so it is Harrasing Calls. Also when I search the number on the enternet everys thisg says H P

Thanks  for the help (I hope )

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@jrcrosno96

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hey @jrcrosno96

I am sure HP will check this and you posting here is much appreciated. Just to compliment what Danny posted...

These are most probably fake calls / hoax

>> http://www.computerworld.com/article/2486136/cybercrime-hacking/fake-windows-tech-support-calls-cont...

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQoAlQrnSg

These have been going around for several years. These fake calls are crime. Someone is trying to mislead you. Big tech companies have been somewhat a victim of the fake guys are these are trying to cheat you pretending to be someone else. Cheaters try to call users, they pretend to be from some big reputable company and they lie about errors/viruses/issues - non-existing problems. They want to reach your computer remotely and get money from you.

I do not officially represent HP but I can tell you that HP (nor Microsoft or anyone else) does not monitor your computer especially for any errors and big IT vendors will not reach directly to their customers about such things. You should not answer these calls, you should not allow strangers connect to your computer withou your prior knowledge/approval. If these continue you may report them to authorities. You may also help vendors such as HP by reporting such issues here, as well, where guys from HP (like Danny) may also take note of such fake stuff.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
I have had them calling me also but I called HP and was told this 1-800-474-6836 is not a recognized HP tech number. I was told HP does not call the customer. I don't know if they are cake but did not allow them access.
HP Recommended

Good job - that's the way to do it. If they continue callng you can also report them to the authorities or block their numbers (if your phone's software supports such an option).  Thanks for your update ! Feel free to post again if you need further assistance on your HP products.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I'd also like to note that I received 3 of these calls yesterday.  I know it was a scam, so I started messing with the guy.  He eventually cursed at me, told me FU B***h and hung up.  Called back 2 minutes later and said he really was from HP support and told me the model #, serial # service code (or whatever the name is) as well as the unique email I used to register with hp support.  

I recieved another call from a different person later in the evening who was surpised to know the machine wasn't even running windows but rather linux.  At that point he hung up as well, without cursing me out this time.

HP Recommended

after contacting  HP Customer Service  and threating the caller I think it has stopoped I am positavee it was coming from HP i got his name  but i have lost it.

Youc can close the post

HP Recommended

The exact same thing is happening to me with this same 800 number in the Caller ID.

He said his name is "John Walker," but with the accent, I doubt that is his real name.  

Today he called twice. Last week when I said "Stop calling me," he said, "I'm going to call you every day." 

HP Recommended

>> The exact same thing is happening to me with this same 800 number in the Caller ID.

Given the increasing popularity of "VOIP" ("Voice Over Internet Protocol") hardware and software,

the caller can set the caller-ID information to be anything that (s)he chooses, e.g., set it to a number that really is owned by HP.

The next time that "John Walker" calls, ask for his Employee Number, and/or his "extension",

e.g., '1-800-555-1212 extension 123", or his "direct" telephone number.

I doubt that he will give it, but if he does, post it here, or contact HP directly, as above.

Then, hang up.

Or, since his calls are being monitored by his manager, keep him on the line for as long as possible,

so that he cannot telephone somebody more gullible while he's talking to you.

His manager probably keeps "performance-statistics" on him.

At the end of the week/month, his manager probably fires the employee with the WORST performance.

Hopefully, it will be him, if he expends hours talking to you, and gets nothing useful (credit-card information, etc.) out of you.

HP Recommended

1-800-474-6836 'IS' the toll free number for HP tech support, however it is the inbound number that a customer calls in to HP with and outbound calls going out from HP are never from that number. It is definitely a hoax, spyware call who are masking their actual number somehow with the 1-800 number... 

I am told that the real calls originating out of HP tech support either use an 1-888 number or originate our of georgia - 678, 404 etc

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.