cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Raiser
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Why is the B&O sound on the HP Omen 17 rubbish compared to my 10 year old HP Pavillion Altec Lansing

HP Recommended
HP Omen 17.3 2016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently purchased an HP Omen17 to replace my 10 year old HP Pavillion DV9000 17 inch which is still going strong but is a litle slow with Windows 10 software. Amongst many cost cutting measures evident on the HP Omen the sound is my standout disappointment with what should be an excellent machine.   

Other gripes include the small return / up / down arrow keys and keyboard offset. General disappointingly cheap feel and poor storage options off the shelf. (I have already rectified the poor storage by replacing the ssd with a 512GB and the HDD with a 2TB ).

Before someone comes back and tries to get me to reinstall software...NO it isn't drivers - the speakers really are appalling.........The bedrock components of a laptop (screen / speakers /keyboard etc.) should be good (Screen is OK to be honest) but there is no excuse for a large laptop like the Omen (aimed at gaming) to have such poor speakers - especially when a machine from the same company 10 years ago had it nailed. The Altec Lansing speakers on the DV9000 from 2006 were spot on - crisp - well defined and sufficently loud when needed.  

I will stick with the HP Omen because of the time and money already invested.  Yes I can plug in some 3rd party speakers and a decent keyboard at teh cost of portability - but shame on HP for sacrificing a good thing and worsening the experience of their customers - and for B&O for not having a decent standard that they will allow to be associated with their brand name.    I expected more from B&O. I will look on their web site to see if I can feed back to them as well.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,680 44,457 7,167 12,711
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you are not happy you can always take it back but you made it clear you do not want to do that. The laptop market continues to pander to the lowest price point. 10 years ago there was still a market for excellence. 

0 Kudos
Raiser
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast response.

So HP are happy to produce mediocre products. I am more disappointed in Bang & Olufsen who have an excellent reputation allowing their brand to be associated with such a poor sound quality. (Also awaiting their comments).

The only reason I am not returning the product is because of the time and effort invested in making the machine almost as useable as my decade old HP laptop (Back in the days when as you state there was a market for quality and using a high end badge guaranteed something).

Sound isn't a niche market so should feature highy in the core machine spec (as it clearly used to) - especially if the machine carries a high end sound system name on the case. Surely this must be embarrasing for B&O ?

Now I am tempted to spend the time uninstalling the uprated SSD and HDD and return the product following your comments. If this is the HP approach then how much effort goes into the things you can't see (or hear) like long term reliability. 

I would be embarassed to play a video presentation with sound on this laptop. So in 2017 when the rest of the company laptops are due for renewal HP won't feature like they did in the past.... times move on I suppose.  Sad to see. But I have standards - and this just doesn't meet them.

0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,680 44,457 7,167 12,711
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did not build or design the laptop. I do not work for HP. My comment covers HP and the entire industry. It might be better if laptops were sold like cars and you got a test drive before buying to see if your standards were met by what you were buying. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation