cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Tobistalker
Level 1
14 11 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Will this be compatible with my PC set up before I buy it?

HP Recommended
HP ENVY h8-1417c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is my set and it hasn't been touch or modified yet. But I was thinking of putting a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3gb in it.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5295996/model/5296866/document/c035...

But I was thinking of putting a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3gb in it. I was wondering if it would fit and compatible?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263&cm_re=1060-_-14-487-263-_-Product

4 REPLIES 4
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,152 1,170 2,518
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@Tobistalke,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! Good Day! 🙂 I understand that you are looking for upgrading the graphics card on your PC . I would be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

Great job on diagnosing the issue correctly, before posting your query on HP forums. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 It has been a privilege to share this platform with tech-savvy customers like you. 🙂 We greatly value your business with HP and it is paramount that the issue is addressed. 🙂

At the outset, going by the technical specifications of your motherboard, the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3gb seems to be compatible.

However, the graphics card is a very high-end card and the screen resolution for it should be supported by the monitor also.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Tobistalker
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright thanks for the replied and your time. But will it fit tho? Cuz back then I was debating on getting the 1050ti because it was 5.7in just like my GT 630, but now the 1060 came out and my friend told me that I should get it instead of 1050ti because I get 50% more faster and its only 50$ difference. Also the 1060 is 6.8in. I was also wondering if it would fit?

Tobistalker
Author
Level 1
14 11 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just realize so,ething right now. The graphic card needs a 6 pin PCIe power and on my PSU doesn't have one. What can I do now?

DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,152 1,170 2,518
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ Tobistalker,

Thank you for the quick response and great job on diagnosing the issue correctly. 🙂

Yes, we need to consider the form factor of the display card and also the pins involved.

If the power supply does not meet the requirements and the pins don’t match, then power supply will need to be replaced also. Please replace the power supply which is compatible with the card and has enough power to fire up the PC. A good (500 W PSU should do)

I would still request you to check with a local technician link Best Buy or staples before performing the upgrade. On paper at least, the card looks compatible. We need to consider the form factor also and pin configuration also before the upgrade.

Trust me I’ve done all I can to help you here by keeping your best interest in mind.  

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 😉

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation