cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Pappy01545
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Windows 10

HP Recommended
Omen 12W12AV
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have heard both good and bad things about Windows 10 and the Edge browser and I want to give them a try. Here is my question; I am disabled and have two programs that I use to operate my PC. They work/function together. One I am sure will work with Windows 10, the other not so much. For Windows 8.1 I had a computer friend take a cd of the program and he was able to make it work. This leaves me cautiously optimistic. However, as I am not a computer person, whatever he did to make it work sacrificed the Explorer browser. So, as he is no longer available to ask questions about how and what he did, will Windows 10 effect the programs that I have working on Windows 8.1 and can I roll Windows 10 back without effecting the programs as they are now? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,632 3,567 8,026
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Pappy01545

What is the exact model number or product number of your laptop/desktop???

REO

0 Kudos
Pappy01545
Author
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP OMEN Notebook - 15t-5000 CTO

Model #: J2W12AV

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,583 30,490 2,788 6,735
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pappy01545

Let's deal with your last issue first -- will Win10 rollback Win8.1 without problems?

The Microsoft answer is (of course!) yes -- because they want braggng rights for your upgrade and they don't care what happens to your PC in the process.

The HONEST answer is -- we don't know --  because every PC is different and there have been LOTS of cases where folks tried to use the Win10 GoBack function and their machine got corrupted in the process and rendered unusable.  I know because I was one of those people.

However, you can protect yourself from such problems if, BEFORE you do that, you consider using a third-party imaging/restoration application like Macrium Reflect to image off your machine so you can easily restore it if anything doesn't work.  And, do NOT rely on the Win10 GoBack function to revert to Win7, it is unreliable and can leave your machine in a corrupted state.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore. 

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Have fun experimenting with Win10!

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,632 3,567 8,026
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Pappy01545

I stopped using Edge Browser after 1 hour and starting using IE 11.

Other than that it took a few hours to get used to the new look of W10.

As far as the programs you have installed now I could not say if they are W10 compatible.

You would have to go to their download site to see if they have W10 programs available.

As far as doing a rollback after W10 upgrade I am not sure what the effect on those programs would be???

As far as the upgrade to W10 you have many W10 drivers for your model. (That means HP has tested your laptop to be W10 compatible.)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-OMEN-15-Notebook/7281265/model/7468071

REO

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation