Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp 15-r204nx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hey...i have problem with my hp 15-r204nx

most of the games i play (just the very low ones not effected) lags after a period of time after launching the game and it keeps laging and works fine every while ...i rebooted my windows 7 many times..checked for updates for graphics card or bios and all was up to date ..hope someone offer help fast cause i really got sick of it ..

note : when the game works fine (the short peroid ) it can run a game like gta v in medium graphics and not lags at all and works very fast ..but when it lags...u know...not playable  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@remous_10453

Specifications include the system build, including:

Microprocessor
Intel Core i5-5200U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 (2.2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
Memory
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
Video Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 820M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Hard Drive
500 GB 5400 rpm SATA

4GB of memory is about enough to run lumbering Windows 7, a search on your browser, and maybe your email program.  Not a lot of processing power left over for games and other resource intensive programs.  The disk is a slower type, the graphics are in the OK range.

Your system is probably "buffering" in the sense that it does not at all have the capacity to run what you ask of it;  when the resources are strained, the Operating System first starts switching out instructions from a program and then (later) switching out entire processes (including the game program). 

This "switching out" of resources slows down the system.  When it gets bad enough, that is, there are more instructions "waiting in line" than the computer can handle, the system can "thrash" -- that is an old term that essentially means, "Lots of swirling around and nothing gets done".

No emails, please, I realize this explanation is essentially inaccurate.  Just making a minor point.  Smiling.

Rats!

Some of what you can try to improve your experience:

• Set a plain, plain background - nothing fancy

• Reduce the number of icons on the Desktop (this is primarily an issue when logging in.  Meh.)

• When you are gaming, do not run any other programs (shut browsers, email, etc)

• Set the system to favor process over beauty:

Control Panel > icon view > System > Advanced system settings > Performance >

Settings > Visual Effects > Select Adjust for best performance

• Run the Resource Monitor to see "what is happening".  

There is a LOT of 'how-to' information on the 'net about this subject, including:

How to use the Resource Monitor in Windows 7 & Windows 8

• Keep your system "tidy" and neat:

HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 7)

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Answered? Click this post Accept as Solution to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

i've been doing all those things every time i luanch a game ..turns windows to best performance and also nivida 3d settings (i put all the pc power on performance ) the only thing i didn't try is clearing icons of desktop but i just rebooted the OS system a few days ago and nothing where on the desktop and the problem were stands still ...i'm not an excpert but i think that the problem is my version of w7? maybe it's not a full version? (that's why causes the trafic issue?) and if it's . what OS u recommend for me ?

thanks for replaying after all (that was fast and nice )

HP Recommended

@remous_10453

@remous_10453 wrote:

i've been doing all those things every time i launch a game ..turns windows to best performance and also NVIDIA 3d settings (i put all the pc power on performance ) the only thing i didn't try is clearing icons of desktop but i just rebooted the OS system a few days ago and nothing where on the desktop and the problem were stands still ...i'm not an expert but i think that the problem is my version of w7? maybe it's not a full version? (that's why causes the traffic issue?) and if it's . what OS u recommend for me ?

thanks for replying after all (that was fast and nice )

Thanks for the kind words.  Smiling.

Commentary 

No need to remove icons from the Desktop -- doing so will not make a noticeable difference.

I looked up your system specs in the Service and Maintenance Guide -- it appears the system can be upgraded to 8GB memory (Page 19).   If your computer is limping along on 4GB, doubling the memory is a good thing.

The Specs say the computer came with FreeDOS; I don't know what flavor of Windows 7 you installed. 

The "traffic" issue might be due to the limitation on network speed:

Network Card
Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity
802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.0 combo (Miracast compatible)

"Traffic" slowdown can be a result of the ISP service and / or the router.   In this case, I doubt those are factors -- the Network Card is slow (for gaming purposes) -- having super fast Internet service and a gaming router would not help because the computer cannot take advantage of the high-end equipment.

I do not recommend Operating Systems to anyone -- this is a personal decision.  I might tell you that Windows 10 is the best OS:  You install it, nothing works, and you then hate it and you hate me and you hate HP.    Best you do your own homework and decide what you want.  Be sure you check the system's Driver page for whichever OS you want to install to ensure Drivers are available to support your hardware.

The computer, assuming the specs are correct, is not a gaming system.  The specifications describe a modest system that will provide modest performance.  It is not a bad computer when used for the purpose for which it is intended:  some Internet browsing, a bit of storage for photos and documents, using email, printing those photos and documents, maybe a bit of Facebook and / or Skype.

Gaming systems are built to specific guidelines for speed, agility, graphics, keyboard feel, and usability (that elusive "game" look and feel that is apparent on the best of the gaming computers).

If you cannot afford to consider a new faster, fancy game system right now (and assuming you are not going to do any upgrade work yourself), take the system to a local, trusted repair house:  Ask the Technician about possible upgrades to make the system the best version of itself. 

Good Luck.

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Answered? Click this post Accept as Solution to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.