cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
David172
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

h8-1214 and new graphics card installation

HP Recommended
h8-1214
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Request help installing a pci express 16 gen 2 compatible graphics card. I'm receiving a blank screen after installation of the card.  I have attempted removing the old graphic drivers, clearing the power by pressing and holding the power button 15 seconds.  I believe that if I could disable secure boot in the bios this would allow me to install the card, but i cannot find the option.  Please advise. Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
David172
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've read many posts regarding new graphic card installation problems. Looks like if you have an HP running Windows 8 and up you may be ok, but if it is running Windows 7 then you are out of luck. Guess I will never make the mistake of buying HP again.  Has anyone been able to get a new graphics card to work in one of these systems?  Anyone?

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@David172

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand you need information on upgrading your graphics card,

I must let you know before we start that your operating system has very little to no importance when it comes to upgrading hardware as its only the drivers that you need and it should be compatible with all versions of Operating Systems.

You might want to include the name or model of the graphics card you have for better assistance and also the PSU upgrade that such upgrades require in most cases.

The secure boot doesn't make much difference either, however, since you want to know you should find it here: how to disable secure boot.

I recommend you check your specifications and compatible graphics cards on this related HP Forums post: Click here

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
David172
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. Here is what I know so far.  The bios on my system is running version 7. It will not permit me to install a new graphics card. Hp has not provided a bios update to version 8.  So I can't just go to the store pick a card and install. It has to be able to run on an older computer with bios version 7. I do not have Windows 8. The instructions you linked me to are regarding a system that is running Windows 8 and has a secure boot disable function. Windows 7 64 bit does not.

With that said, I have all the prerequisites to run a modern card. I added a 600W power supply and have the proper drivers. I hoped that someone on this forum would know how to trick out my old bios in a way that would allow me to install. Perhaps booting into Legacy mode or something along those lines. Or be able to tell me which cards are compatible with my system board.  I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard just to install a new graphics card, but it looks like the road that I am currently on.

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,966
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@David172

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, however, as I mentioned before secure boot has nothing to do with upgrading your graphics card and neither does the BIOS make a difference,

The link I shared earlier to the alternate HP Forums post contains the graphics card compatible with your product and reason I shared that with you is because other users have successfully upgraded their cards and have no issues with it.

Here's the card for your reference: Click here

And here's the link again: Click here

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,740 6,724 634 1,516
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

Version 7 BIOS means you cannot run Nvidia 700, 900, or 1000 series graphics cards unless someone is making these cards with legacy BIOS support.

You can use 600 Nvidia graphics cards.

Sapphire makes some AMD cards with a switch where you can run the card on a legacy BIOS.

But AMD cards require lots of power and may not fit in your tower.

It is not HP's fault. You have a BIOS available when your PC was built. 

Don't waste money on a new motherboard. Upgrade system by buying new or building a new system.

Grzy

0 Kudos
David172
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks everyone for responding.  I was looking at the MSI AMD Rx 470  4GB.  I didn't see anything on the spec sheet regarding a switch for legacy support, but I think it is UEFI supported not required. Which I assume means it would run on legacy.  If you have any thoughts on this decision please share. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,740 6,724 634 1,516
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

Check with MSI before buying.

I am only aware or Sapphire graphics cards having switch to run EFI graphics cards on legacy BIOS motherboards.

Grzy

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation