Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mjohnst8 Top Student
Top Student
7 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp omen 15 - 5113dx hard drive not found

15-5113dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am installing a new hard drive into my laptop and it is not found as a boot device or by system diagnostics. The odd thing is I can boot from an external dvd drive using OEM windows 8.1 and windows 10 software disc and going into the software installation and it finds the hard dirve allowing me to format and reformat the hard drive and install windows on the hard drive. But as soon as the windows installation reboots the laptop will no longer recognize or find the hard drive and finds no boot device.  I have reset the bios to default settings, enabled and disabled legacy support and the hard drive is still not found. I was wondering if it might be a software issue with the SSD being a PCI express hard drive. Any help would be appriciated.

I do not have the system recovery discs or system image that came originally with the laptop. 

The hard drive I installed is a Samsung PM951 MZVLV256HCHP-00000 PCIe ssd.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mjohnst8,

Thank you for your query.  

I understand that you have replaced your original drive with a Samsung PM951 MZVLV256HCHP-00000 PCIe SSD and are not able to boot to it. You have been able to boot to the CD/DVD and install Windows but on reboot, the hard drive is not found. You have tried restoring the BIOS defaults and enabling and disabling Legacy support with no change.  Here is a link to the HP OMEN Notebook Maintenance and Service Guide. Please note chapter 3, page 15, item 11 for the recommended replacements.  

If this post helps you to resolve the issue, please pay it forward by clicking "Accept as Solution", to the right of the Thumbs up icon. You can click the Thumbs Up Icon” to show gratitude! :)

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46245 40506 4383 11263
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do have some experience with that particular SSD. It is currently the fastest disk on the market. I own two of them in 128 and 256 GB capacities. 

The problem for your Omen notebook is that it has an NVMe interface. 

MLC and TLC memory type SSDs are compatible, but NVME SSDs do not appear to be.

See page 1 of the following Maintenence & Service guide.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04490401

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation