cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
deathnesia
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

hp omen 15 backlit keyboard animated

HP Recommended
Windows 8.1

Hi People,

I have the new HP Omen 15 gaming laptop. It came with Windows 8.1. After a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro and installing drivers from HP, I thought it would work terrifically. Well, it seems slightly slower. And after installing all the drivers, INCLUDING THE NEW BIOS UPDATE BY HP, it is having backlit keyboard issues. 

When in the HP Omen Control software, if I leave 'Animated Speakers' on and listen to something now, the backlit keyboard lights flicker on and off between zones sort of mimicking the animated speakers (hence "animated keys"). It is weird and is making me mad. I called tech support, they said, "Duh, call Microsoft." I could not believe it. They blamed it on 8.1 Pro, which it doesn't make sense. 

Anyone else having this issue? I tried reinstalling drivers in different orders already. Unplugging different peripherals as well. I am thinking of doing the following:

1) Reinstalling and flashing the new BIOS update.

2) Ordering HP's USB Recovery to restore factory defaults, then installing 8.1 Pro features in updates (which I need).

3) Ordering HP'S USB Recovery, but with 8.1 Pro already.

4) Cursing the sky that I bought HP and that their systems are not debugged properly and their support is a nightmare.

Also, they didn't provide me with the Omen Console program that came with it, on their website. Bass-turds.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,465
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Number 2 would be my choice- since you didn't make your USB Recovery Media. Easy enough to upgrade to Pro features and all of the original customizations should work. This is not the only machine that doesn't work 100% after a clean install ,unfortunately the more custom details/hardware present the more likely to face issues.

Number 3 would be an optimal choice but I'm not sure it is available.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

deathnesia
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am going to try your option I guess and let you know if it works. This is bad news because Windows 10 is going to come out, then my sweet backlit keyboard will be all screwed up. HP needs to get to providing drivers that work with clean installs, as well as preparing good drivers for Windows 10 upgraders! :robotsad:

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation