cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mandux
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

hp omen monitor

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, just bought my gaming omen laptop as i was pluging it in to my monitor, because when im home i perfer playing with a 23 inch monitor, the resolution is not very good i found out the HDMI is connected to an intel graphics cards and not to the GTX Nvidia, is there anyway to change it? or be able to connect HDMI to GTX? if not im going to have to return the laptop. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 37,895 3,357 11,498
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@iMaxx may have the answer.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Mandux
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how do the i get the answer? 

iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 559 29 240
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is nothing wrong with the machine and this is a result of nVidia Optimus Technology.

Here is the White Paper on it.
(See Page 9.)

All systems from all manufactueres with onboard and descrete nVidia cards will be held to this standard.

Are you mirroring your desktop?
What resolution is being sent to the monitor?

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
Mandux
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
1080p but the laptop outputs intel graphics only. wanted to know of there is a way to change it?
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 559 29 240
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, and there isn't a need to.

To my understanding, the nVidia chip is always doing the computing and rending of the game, and the intel portion is just painting what the nVidia GPU has 'computed/rendered' on the screen.

I'm varifying this and hooking up my Omen to a monitor via HDMI.

Are you extending the displays or duplicating.

I am an HP Employee
-----
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 559 29 240
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Correction: There may be a way to force it.

In the nVidia control panel, under Manager 3D Settings, you can sellect the program that you have installed and select "High-Performance NVIDIA processor" under 'Select the prefered Graphics Processor...."

Without doing that, however, here is what my system shows. (All tests  were perfomed after system reboot.)

Test 1:

• Omen Lid closed
  • Connected via HDMI to 24" Monitor (Only one Display with a native resolution of 1920x1200)
  • Keyboard and mouse attached.
  • nVidia GPU activity monitor (Found in the System tray after activating it the nVidia Control Panel.) shows: Fallout 4

Test 2:

• Omen Lid open
  • Connected via HDMI to 24" Monitor / Displays are duplicated - This forces the 24" monitor to a  1080 resolution.
  • nVidia GPU activity monitor shows: Diablo III  at 80+ FPS on both screens. (Fallout 4 is buggy with the new nvidia drivers and didn't want to play nice.)

Test 3 - B: (This one is tough as the Omen LCD is the main display and has to manually be changed.)

• Omen Lid open
  • Connected via HDMI to 24" Monitor / Displays are extended - Omen at 1080, 24" at 1200.
  • Game running on Omen Display
  • nVidia GPU activity monitor shows: Diablo III  at 80+ FPS.

Test 3 - B:

• Omen Lid open
  • Connected via HDMI to 24" Monitor / Displays are extended - Omen at 1080, 24" at 1200.
  • Game running on 24" monitor after being swithched to Main Display
  • nVidia GPU activity monitor shows: Diablo III  at 80+ FPS.

Where are you seeing that the Intel GPU is driving the game?

I am an HP Employee
-----
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation