Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN (HP 825B)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

When doing a sytem image with windows, it ask me if I want the d: (data, 2tb).

I choose not to include d:

If I restore the image, will it erase the d: disk ?   Can I only restore c:  ?

Patrick

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @trogne,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

Don't worry as I have a few steps which should help to resolve your issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you trying to perform System recovery using recovery media shipped from HP or user created disc?

Answering to your question, 😧 drive is for the recovery partition. When doing a factory restore the hard drive partition is formatted, and the OS and software is written to the partition. Formatting the drive will, at  a minimum, erase all the file tables, pointers, etc. that hold information on the file's structure. When the operating system and software are installed, it may overwrite many of the previous files that were on the computer. By this time it is hard to recovery your files and every time you use your computer, recovery your old files becomes more difficult. About the only effective way to recover your files is to use an expense data recovery service.

Yes, performing system recovery will erase the 😧 drive. For more details, please follow this link - HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (D:) Hard Drive? - Click here

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10) - Click here

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's not that at all.

It's not about the recovery drive, and not about HP recovery.

E: is the recovery drive. I don't use that.

😧 is a separate 2tb HD

C: is a system SSD disk.

It's about a system image stored on another disc.

When creating the system image, I can select or not the 2tb HD (D:).  I don't select D:.

My question :

If I restore to the image, will it erase my 2tb HD (D:) drive ? 

HP Recommended

Hi @trogne,

Thank you for replying,

I understand you would like to know if you restore the image on 😧 will it erase the data, Yes, when you perform a recovery it will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to backup your data before initiating System recovery.

I hope I have answered your question, let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Still not that.

I'm not talking about restoring the image on 😧

The image is an image of the C: drive (ssd), and I want to restore on C:

I know it will wipe all C:

The question is :

When I created the system image, I could choose to include the 😧 drive (data, 2tb hd).

So, when I'll restore from the image, will it wipe only C:  ?  or both C: and 😧 ?

HP Recommended

Hi @@trogne,

Thank you for getting back to us,

Yes, that's what I meant, it erases both the drives. 

For more details, please go to the support website for - HP Notebook PCs - Using System Recovery, Factory Reset and Minimized Image Recovery Options - Click here.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you require any further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.