cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
marz57
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

windows 10 thumb drive backup

HP Recommended
Omen 15-5020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Seeking some guidance here. I am having a few issues with Windows 10 (start button) so I realized I needed to make a system recovery image and my old USB thumb drive is too small. I need to buy another, but wanted to make sure I get the correct type before I buy it. I need some help figuring out which would be best for me to use with this laptop.

I'm thinking a 32Gb drive, but while checking them out, I have noticed that some say they support "XP, Windows 7 and 8"  Since my HP Omen 15-5020 laptop came with 8.1 and I upgraded to 10 a few months ago, I am assuming that these drives should also support W 10, but I'm not entirely sure.  It doesn't matter whether my lapotop is a  32-bit or 64-bit system, does it? Also, the wattage seems to vary, which I am not sure why... Can anyone help me out here with this?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,467 30,374 2,776 6,710
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello marz57 ;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about Win 10 thumbdrive backup and wanted to help.

Any flash drive that claims to support Win7 is going to work with Win10.  It's just that Win10 is so new that drive manufacturers haven't got around to updating their product packaging to include it.

I would not use a 32GB thumb drive unless you have confirmed that Win10 is much smaller than that on your hard drive.  I would recommend using a 64GB thumb drive instead.

Also, I'm NOT a fan of built-in backup solutions.  I've had them fail too often to rely on them.  Instead, I strongly recommend using the free, third-party tool Macrium Reflect (MR).  Macrium Reflect provides a version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry.  This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation