Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy 4500 e all in one
Chrome OS

my 4500 suddenly stopped printing wirelessly. I used to be able to print from my android phone and my chromebook and now nothing.  the printer status report says it is connected to my wireless, I disconnected and reconnected to my wi fi. I shut down, unplugged and restarted the printer, the software says it's up to date. I am at such a loss, I have not had this printer terribly long maybe a year and a half. I am beyond frustrated and totally lost, Help, Please?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@bd_kat

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the HP Envy 4500 won't print wirelessly on a Chrome OS,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you attempted to assign static IP to the printer to have it connected back to a safe wifi network?

If you haven't, try the below steps:

How to assign a static IP address and a manual DNS address to fix this issue:

* Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.

* Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

* Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

* Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

* Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,  

mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Still nothing, any other suggestions? the printer says it is up to date, it copy/prints but nothing wireless.

HP Recommended

@bd_kat

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

That's strange as it should normally take care of things,

Nevertheless, I still have a trick up my sleeve and here's what you need to do:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Choose NO.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the brief response last time it was late and I was tired.  I have a chromebook so I don't have a control panel, I did remove the printer from my cloud print though and now I can't find it to reconnect or install.  In my cloud print account there is an error message from last time I tried to print something and it says "could not deliver print job to printer"

I

HP Recommended

@bd_kat

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the situation better.

Please follow the below steps to fix this issue.

1. If the printer is off, turn on the printer, and then check the status of the printer.

• If the printer starts printing jobs from the print queue, your printer is clearing out queued print jobs and is online. You can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer goes to an idle state after its startup routine, it might be online.

• If the computer still shows the printer as offline, continue using these steps.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the printer power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds. Restart the computer while you are waiting.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

8. Make sure the printer is connected to the computer or the network.

• Wireless network connection: On the printer, open the Wireless network or Settings menu to make sure the wireless signal is turned on. Make sure the light next to the Wireless icon  is on and steady.

• Wired network connection: Make sure the cable is connected to the printer Ethernet port  and to an available port on the router. The green link light should be steady, and the orange activity light should blink.

Figure : Connect the cable to the printer and to the router

Connect the Ethernet cable to the printer and to the router
    • USB connection: Make sure the cable is securely connected to the printer and to a working USB port on the computer.

9. Try to print.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

nothing has worked so far, I went to my cloud print and removed the printer and now I can't find it to re add to my google cloud. Hellllp

HP Recommended

@bd_kat

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand you want to use google cloud printing.

1. Turn on your printer.

2. Open the Chrome browser , and then sign in to your Google account.

3. Click the Chrome menu icon , and then select Settings from the drop-down menu.

4. In the Settings window, scroll down and select Show advanced settings....

5. Scroll down to Google Cloud Print, then click the Manage button.

6. If your printer is listed under New devices, click Register, then click Register again to confirm and print a confirmation page.

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response, I don't necessarily want to use cloud print, I am just at a total loss. it just stopped printing from any of my devices a few months ago. 

I have gone through the precess you attached and just end up at a dead end.

HP Recommended

@bd_kat

Thanks for your response.

Are you getting any error message while printing wirelessly?

Meanwhile:

Update the printer firmware

If your printer is already connected to a network and you registered your printer with Google Cloud Print, the printer firmware might be outdated. Go to Updating Firmware on the Printer for more information.

• If the firmware is outdated, follow the instructions to update the firmware, and then try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

• If the firmware is up-to-date, continue to the next step.

Confirm the printer connection and Network name: On the printer, make sure that the blue light next to the Wireless icon () is on and steady, then touch the Wireless network menu to make sure that the printer is connected to the same network as your computer.

Move the printer and router closer together: Move the printer and the computer closer to your wireless router, but no closer than 6 ft (1.8 m). Wireless signals can be weaker at greater distances between the printer and the router.

Click here and refer the document for more help.

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.