Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office jet pro 8600
iOS 12 - 12.0.1

I print from my iPhone/iPad wirelessly over my network just fine but want to have access to more than the basic printer options, especially  when printing an email. How do I access those options, such as reduce printer size? I waste a lot of ink and paper not being able to adjust the print size.  I don’t see a simple way to do this or a way to easily print from my emails using HP Smart.  This is silly to not have easy access so I must be missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dmhawv 

Not sure you are missing anything - the detailed settings you seek may not be available using the application in iPad / iPhone.

General information

Mobile Printing

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

Find your printer (if it is supported) for HP Smart here:

Print and Scan from the HP Smart App (Android, Apple)

If your printer is not supported for the HP Smart App, use whatever print application is on the iPad.

If necessary, Install the software to your iPad.

If using HP Smart:

Open the HP Smart application and check that it is indeed installed - read / check the various sections.

Select the file to print > Print > Settings (horizontal lines with intersecting circles in the upper right corner)

Select "Resize" = Original, Fit to Page, Fill Page

Observations (based on my own experience , which may - or may not - be applicable to "your experience")

It appears (after a quick check on my iPad Pro V12.x at writing) that font size is controlled in the software used to view / edit / format the document before that document is sent to the printer.

Assuming this is indeed the case, that is, the simple iOS print tools do not include the ability to shrink the fonts,

This "format fonts before printing" is used / necessary for documents printed from the web, or from a PC or Mac.

Fit to page is (apparently) the best you can do.

If possible, open the document in an editing program (like Pages), adjust the content there, and then save / print.

For example,

Import / copy / add the document to (Notes, then to) Pages.  The formatting, including font type and cont size can be adjusted within the document and then saved.  Print that saved file / content.  The print reflects the (smaller / larger) font size.

Reminder:  HP Smart does not print from One Drive - read the explanation in the FAQ section.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Dmhawv 

Not sure you are missing anything - the detailed settings you seek may not be available using the application in iPad / iPhone.

General information

Mobile Printing

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

Find your printer (if it is supported) for HP Smart here:

Print and Scan from the HP Smart App (Android, Apple)

If your printer is not supported for the HP Smart App, use whatever print application is on the iPad.

If necessary, Install the software to your iPad.

If using HP Smart:

Open the HP Smart application and check that it is indeed installed - read / check the various sections.

Select the file to print > Print > Settings (horizontal lines with intersecting circles in the upper right corner)

Select "Resize" = Original, Fit to Page, Fill Page

Observations (based on my own experience , which may - or may not - be applicable to "your experience")

It appears (after a quick check on my iPad Pro V12.x at writing) that font size is controlled in the software used to view / edit / format the document before that document is sent to the printer.

Assuming this is indeed the case, that is, the simple iOS print tools do not include the ability to shrink the fonts,

This "format fonts before printing" is used / necessary for documents printed from the web, or from a PC or Mac.

Fit to page is (apparently) the best you can do.

If possible, open the document in an editing program (like Pages), adjust the content there, and then save / print.

For example,

Import / copy / add the document to (Notes, then to) Pages.  The formatting, including font type and cont size can be adjusted within the document and then saved.  Print that saved file / content.  The print reflects the (smaller / larger) font size.

Reminder:  HP Smart does not print from One Drive - read the explanation in the FAQ section.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your detailed response.  In the end, I think you did confirm that what I’d hope to be standard printing options- are indeed not available when printing from iPhone or iPad. 

I understand the various ways to go about manually manipulating what I want printed in other apps or programs.   What I am seeking is ways to NOT have to do all that.  I just want the standard HP print options available to me every time I print - be it an email or Web recipe. 

HP Smart - I don’t see a way to print an email through this app and therefore have access to additional print options.  Again, without incorporating several additional steps. 

Maybe one day.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.