Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 3830
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Our son set up the printer and an administrator password that he didn't write down and subsequently forgot. 

How can we reset the administrator password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jpeter9223

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you do not know the administrator password for your HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer and need help to reset it. 

A semi full reset needs to be performed to remove the password. This will restore the printer to its original factory condition. 

A private message has been sent you with the semi full reset steps.

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted.

Good luck! 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@jpeter9223

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you do not know the administrator password for your HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer and need help to reset it. 

A semi full reset needs to be performed to remove the password. This will restore the printer to its original factory condition. 

A private message has been sent you with the semi full reset steps.

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted.

Good luck! 

HP Recommended
Thank you the direction s were perfect
HP Recommended

@jpeter9223

Great news! 🙂

I'm glad that the suggested steps worked. You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

Happy printing!

HP Recommended

@lawrencebrigham

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums.

Printer factory reset instructions vary depends on printer models. The steps has to be specific for the printer that you are using. Performing the reset steps on a different printer may brick the device.

Are you using an HP Office Jet 3830 printer?

If so reply to the private message that I have sent you, please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Thanks!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

please send instructions to reset aministrator password

HP Recommended

@tdhassett, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Are you using HP Officejet 3830 All-in-One Printer? If yes, let us proceed.

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

If you are using a different printer, let me know the printer name.

Keep me posted.

Cheers 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue on my OfficeJet 3830. All of a sudden my FAX doesn't work, the HP Utility can't communicate with the device and it says the administrator disabled the device and FAX. That would be me, and I did no such thing. In fact, I don't even remember becoming an admin for the unit or what password I would have used.

HP Recommended

UPDATE:  I FIXED IT!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.