Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet f380
Other
Hi,
My printer is deskjet f380, connecting via USB otg to Huawei p8 lite 2017 phone, running android 7 Nougat.
Usb otg function is supported by os and phone (reads/writes to thumb drive no problem).
HP printer plug in is installed.

Problem is as follows:
Phone finds printer straight away and displays name as 'deskjet f300 series'. So far so good. But, when I try to print anything, I click 'print' and the menu comes up with options 'print to pdf' or the option of my printer name, but the name is greyed out and not selectable.
The printer prints fine from my laptop but not from phone, despite using same usb cable. The phone correctly recognises the printer but just won't let me select or do anything.
Do I need an additional driver or something?
Please help! Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Regards
Wayne
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi,
I tried all that but no difference.
However, I noticed a third-party app on playstore called 'happy 2 print' - installed that and it prints no problem.
So, the phone is ok, my printer is ok, but the hp printing plug in didn't work. (I had also tried reinstalling the plug in but obviously that didn't help.)
So there we are - problem solved using other software. HP plug in beaten by other app!
Regards
Wayne

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @waynefb2002

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips

I understand that you are having problems printing from your Android Phone.

I'd like to help.

I suggest you download the HP Smart App and follow the instructions. Click Here

You can refer to this Link for more details on HP Smart App.

Keep me posted how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you for your response.
I have downloaded the smart app and will test tomorrow.
Just reading the info about the app, it talks about connecting via WiFi - obviously my printer doesn't do WiFi (hence connecting with usb otg). Will the app work with usb otg?
Thanks
Wayne
HP Recommended

Hi @waynefb2002

Unfortunately, HP Smart App only supports Wireless connection.

Please disconnect the printer from your Phone, do a Printer Reset and restart your phone.

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Then try connecting the Printer to your phone. You can refer to this Link to learn more about how to Print With a USB OTG Cable.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi,
I tried all that but no difference.
However, I noticed a third-party app on playstore called 'happy 2 print' - installed that and it prints no problem.
So, the phone is ok, my printer is ok, but the hp printing plug in didn't work. (I had also tried reinstalling the plug in but obviously that didn't help.)
So there we are - problem solved using other software. HP plug in beaten by other app!
Regards
Wayne
HP Recommended
Thanks for trying though.
HP Recommended

Hi @waynefb2002

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

I recommend you try the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05384190

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
😂 Lol no, that didn't have any new information at all (perhaps it was the wrong link). I think the detail in the thread suggests that all that was originally tried.
As you can see, the fault was that the hp printing plug-in app didn't work, but a third party app did work instead.
So problem solved.
Thanks for typing though, but I do wonder if you had time to read the previous posts.

HP Recommended

Hi @waynefb2002,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, couldn't find 'happy 2 print' app but the first app that came out was 'Printshare' which is maybe the newer version of 'happy 2 print', it worked with this one, Kudos. 

Uninstalled 'HP print service plugin' to see if 'PrintShare' still recognizes the printer without HP's plugin & yes, it did actually recognize it 👍

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.