Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
CM1415fnw
iOS

Just updated our Xfinity router to the Xd7. Our old CM1415fnw printer can no longer access the Internet even though it is active on the WiFi network. 

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi @AJA1901

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Let's try the below steps to see if that helps -

1.) Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2.) Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3.) Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4.) Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further-

1.) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?

2.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

3.) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

The printer is connected to the WiFi via the 2.4 ghz channel. I have given the 2.4 ghz channel a separate name. My router info shows the printer connected. Regardless of this the printer cannot connect to the internet & I cannot connect via my phone app. How can the printer be actively connected to the WiFi & still not connect to the internet? 

HP Recommended

Try Printing with Apple AirPrint (iOS)-

Make sure the printer and your phone is connected to same network

Step 1: Set up the network connection

Wirelessly connect the printer and the Apple device to use AirPrint.

1. On your Apple device, make sure Wi-Fi is on and there is a check mark next to the name of your local Wi-Fi network. If you are connected to a different network, tap the name of your network to join it.

Go to Finding Your Wireless Password if you do not know the network login information.

NOTE: 

If a local network is unavailable or you use a USB cable to connect the printer to a computer, go to How do I use AirPrint if a Wi-Fi network is not available? for steps to use the Wi-Fi Direct or HP wireless direct printer connection.

2. Check the printer network connection status.

• Printers with a touchscreen control panel: Touch the Wireless icon  or open the Network Settings or Setup menu to view the network connection status.

• Printers without a touchscreen control panel: Press the Wireless and Information buttons at the same time or press the Wireless and Start Copy Black buttons at the same time. A Wireless Test Report prints with the network connection status.

3. Do the following, depending on the connection status.

• If the printer is connected to the network, skip to the step to print from your device.

• If the printer is not connected to the network, continue to the next step.

4. Connect the printer to the network.

Step 2: Print from your Apple device

1. Make sure the printer is turned on, ink cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray.

2. Open the item you want to print, and then tap the Share icon  or  .

3. Tap Print or the Print icon  to open Printer Options.

4. Tap Select Printer to select your printer.

5. Change any of the following print job settings. Available settings vary depending on the app you are printing from, the print job type, and your printer.

• Paper: Make any paper size changes on the printer. AirPrint automatically detects the paper size loaded in the printer or the size selected on the printer control panel. If the detected size is different than the paper in the tray, an error might display asking to confirm the size.

• Number of copies: Select how many copies you want to print.

• Black & White: Select to print in grayscale. This option only displays for color printers.

• Double-sided printing: Print on both sides of the paper for certain file types.

• Page range: Select specific pages within a document or webpage to print.

Printer Options screen

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I cannot use AirPrint since although the printer is on the WiFi & the gateway sees the printer, has it on 2.4 ghz, the printer cannot connect to the web. I don’t understand how that is even possible. 

HP Recommended

Can you print a printer configuration page and share the results-

From the control panel of the printer

Open the Reports menu, and then select the Network Summary option.

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I’ve printed the Network Summary. What should I be looking for?

HP Recommended

The printer's IP address, DNS address.

Can you share the report?

HP Recommended

From printer info:

IPv4 169.254.206.164

DNS 0.0.0.0

From router info:

IP4 10.0.0.8

HP Recommended

Are you connected to home network or public network ?

If home,please restore the network settings and reconnect the printer?

Access the Wireless Setup Wizard through the printer control panel to establish a wireless connection between your printer and network

Learn how to reconnect a touchscreen printer to a wireless network.

1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon .

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. If your wireless network does not display in the list of wireless networks, touch Enter New Network Name, and then type the name of your wireless network.

NOTE: 

Type the exact network name, including any uppercase and lowercase letters.

7. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password..

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.