Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp deskjet 2632 all-in-one printer
Other

I can't connect my phone to my printer. I'm trying to do WiFi direct but at this point anyway I can get it to print would be great. I've tried printing all the info pages (which I was successful at) but when the hp smart app asks for a password and I put the password in (the one on the printed info page) it tells me it's incorrect. I don't see why because I've not changed the password at all so it should be the same. I can't get my phone or my partner's phone to print anything and I don't know why. 

I've had a few issues with it to be honest (the other main issue is that it keeps not printing properly. It'll, for example, print half a page and then a huge black line and then stop printing. I tried doing all the standard stuff to fix the printing aspect like aligning the print heads and cleaning the cartridges or whichever way around it is). I'm getting so fed up with this printer, now, which I've only had for just over a year. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Stentygee123

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

I believe you are trying to connect to the Wi-Fi direct network of the printer and it's asking for the Wi-Fi direct password. 

Try the default password as 12345678. 

If it doesn't work then provide the below details: 

• What's the Wi-Fi light status on the Printer(Blinking or Steady)? 
  • Are you trying to print from an Android or Apple phone? 
  • Could you share the screen where it's asking for the password? 

Refer to the article: HP Printers - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did try the default password as 12345678 but it said the password was incorrect (I haven't changed it so it should be that. It's also the password that printed out when I printed the info page) 

The light was blinking the whole time, not connecting to anything (even when I tried to press the button on the WiFi router to connect it to it - I also tried moving the printer closer to the router, to see if it would help) 

I'm trying to print from an android phone. My partner was trying to print from a Windows 10 laptop and it wouldn't let him connect to it, either. 

I've attached a screenshot of the error message it comes up with. 

Screenshot_20200903_201129_com.hp.printercontrol.jpg

HP Recommended

@Stentygee123

Thank you for posting back.

Firstly,  phone should be connected to the printer but not to your home wireless network,

Try turning off cellular data and then the printer's network name would appear which consist the word "direct".

• Note: while using Wi-Fi direct, there will be no internet access on the phone.

Refer to the article: HP Printers - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.