Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer series
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I read the recent security alert and created a password for my printer webpage.  I must have done something wrong as I now can't get in using my username password. All functions are now locked by the administrator (me) and I can't scan or change any of the settings. There is no password reset on the login screen!

Is there a way of confirming my usename and or resetting my the password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thanks for info on userid=admin - did not know that. Using admin and saved password worked so now back in!

Thanks for your quick response and help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@VUHC

The printer security used on the printer -- and as a by-product, on the Embedded Web Server (EWS) -- is separate from any other security software or "userid-password" pair that you use elsewhere on the network or on other devices.

This stuff is brutal if you lose track of the password.

The USERID is always admin

In my experience, not much clears the password, even a "semi-full reset" may not work. 

As a Side-Bar:  Those of us who are not HP employees are not allowed to provide support menu (reset) information as it has the potential to harm the printer (break it permanently). 

@greenturtle - Any help here?

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thanks for info on userid=admin - did not know that. Using admin and saved password worked so now back in!

Thanks for your quick response and help.

HP Recommended

@VUHC

That is exactly why I included the tip. Smiling.

Fear losing the sacred printer password?

Depending on your security software on the computer, you can add this login combination and save possible headache later - OR - just write down the userid/password and stuff the bit of paper into your safe.

Happy Printing!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.