Tinker4
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Cannot connect to a new network

HP Recommended
Deskjet 3700
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Previously, in the US, I connected this printer to the household network, and everything worked swell. 

Now I am trying to connect this printer to a new household network, in the Bahamas, and it is much less swell.  

The printer very generously gave me the option of printing a Wireless Quick Start Guide, so that is what I am working with. 

Method 1:  use a mobile device/computer WITHOUT the HP Printer software previously installed.  

okay... that sounds very odd to me but i can do it.  

1. Make sure the device from which you would like to print is connected to your wireless network.  yep, it is the household network. 

2. On the printer, press and hold.... this is probably extraneous since the wifi light has been blinking all along 

3. open a web browser and visit 123.hp.com etc.  so here is where it gets weird. 

the video says go to settings (yep), wifi (yep), select the server HP-Set-up-yada ... and that does not appear as an option.

What i get is Direct-C7-HP DeskJet 37000 (i.e. the WiFi direct name from the printer information page)

but when i select that, there is a message that says No Internet Connection

and things just stop happening at this point. 

4. Return to App.  

There is not a lot of sense in returning to app, since it has not worked at step 3.  

=======

at one point i did successfully input the password for the printer (from the printer information page)

we have tried using an android phone, but seem to be unable to download the app

tried looking for chat support, but apparently that is not available for the 3700 series (okay, it was a cheap printer)

tried looking for the HP folder in applications, but no such folder.

has anyone got any suggestions?  

4 REPLIES 4
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 924 1,608
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @Tinker4 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are having trouble while connecting your Deskjet printer to the new wireless network. Appreciate all your efforts so far! I will try and help you from here 🙂

I found a wonderful document which explains how to setup your printer to the wireless network. Go to http://hp.care/2me62wT and follow the step 3 to get your printer connected to your new network.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Tinker4
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please read my original posting more closely. 

I have tried, several times, to use the HP set-up from my laptop.  The set-up app does not find the 3700 ... presumably because I had previously installed the printer on homenetwork1 and now I need to install it on homenetwork2.  

If it makes a difference, the printer now shows up in the list of networks available to join, the list says

• homenetwork2
  • Direct-C7-HP DeskJet 3700 series

but i cannot actually join the second network (yes, i have the password, it is printed on the Printer Information Page).

as I said... I need help connecing to a NEW network.  The wireless quick start Guide says this has to be done from a device/computer WITHOUT the software previously installed.  I tried using my smartphone and ran in to the issue described above.  

Perhaps you have information about de-installing the software.

0 Kudos
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 951
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Tinker4, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

If the printer was connected to a different network before. Please restore the network settings to default and then configure the printer to the new network. 

Press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel at the same time, and then hold them for three seconds. This would restore the network settings. 

Refer to page number 62 in the printer manual. Click here for the printer manual. 

Once this is done, you will be able to configure the printer to the new network. Refer to this HP Article for assistance.

Let me know how it goes.

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
RobWV
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To configure HP 3700 networking:

Turn on direct print by pushing the lower right button in the group of buttons. It should glow solid white.

Connect to wireless network named something like " DIRECT-**-HP DeskJet 3700 series".  This network becomes available when you start direct print.

Go to 192.168.223.1

The username is admin, the password is one that you set when you first set up the printer. Try likely network passwords.

Now you should be able to set everything you need to set or fix.

I hope this helps. Took me most of the day to figure this out, and lots of others are having the same problem. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation