Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have just installed a new HP officejet Pro 9020.  When it and my computer are on, the printer is showing as an UNSECURED wireless connection.  I want to make it SECURED.  That is, I want to cut off the printer's wireless capabilities from being able to be used by outsiders, eg neighbours.  I want the wifi connection, but SECURED, so that I have to input a password (that my neighbours don't know).

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@ThePurchaser,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to make sure that the printer is connected to a secure connection.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Do you have a password to connect to your router?

Meanwhile, I would like to inform you that the people connected to the same network (Router) as the printer will be able to the printer to the printer. Your neighbor will be able to the printer to the printer only when he is connected to the same wireless connection.

To make sure the connection secure put a strong password for your wireless connection and only the people who connect to your wireless network will be able to print to the printer.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a router with its own SSID and it is secured so that's not an issue.  BUT when i open my connection manager, one of the networks that is showing since i installed my 9020's software to my PC is a very longwinded name of "xxxxxc HP setup officejet pro 9020".  It shows as unsecured.  I want to make it secured so that neighbours can't use it.    Thank you

HP Recommended

I have a router with its own SSID and it is secured so that's not an issue.  BUT when i open my connection manager, one of the networks that is showing since i installed my 9020's software to my PC is a very longwinded name of HP setup officejet pro 9020.  It shows as unsecured.  I want to make it secured so that neighbours can't use it.    Thank you

HP Recommended

I'm not sure whether my response is getting to you Fossette as when i hit the reply button, it seems to look like i am responding to my own initial question rather then you initial response.

HP Recommended

I have a router with its own SSID and it is secured so that's not an issue.  BUT when i open my connection manager, one of the networks that is showing since i installed my 9020's software to my PC is a very longwinded name of HP setup officejet pro 9020.  It shows as unsecured.  I want to make it secured so that neighbours can't use it. 

I haven't been able to work out how to change the network connection with the SSID name of Officejet pro 9020 from unsecured to secured.

Thank you

HP Recommended

@ThePurchaser,

The wireless network which you are seeing is the wireless direct option on the printer. You can turn it off by going to the wireless menu on the printer. 

If you wish to use it, you can configure Wi-Fi direct and set up a password to connect and print using the Wi-Fi direct option.

Please refer to the below article for more information on wireless direct.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04090221

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Fossette but still weird.

FIRSTLY:  I take it by your response and the user manual that the no. (1) connection below cannot be set up as secured, i.e. it is either on or off, but CANNOT be on AND secured.  Kindly confirm.

SECONDLY:  If I simply power on the officejet pro 9020, and have BOTH Wireless OFF, and WiFi Direct OFF (using the wireless menu on the printer, and following the user manual re Dashboard, Settings...), the following UNSECURED network connection still shows:

(1)          HP-Setup<BA_OfficeJet Pro 9020

If I turn WiFi Direct on, then TWO network connections show, being the above one plus:

(2)         DIRECT-BA-HP OfficeJet Pro 9020

Even after I go back to the menu and turn WiFi Direct off, the no. (1) network connection above still shows.

On the printer menu, if I select Wireless Setup Wizard, the next screen says it's searching for routers, and then says Select Network Name.  Even though network connection no. 1 shows on my COMPUTER'S network connection list, no. (1) above does NOT show on the list of network connections on the PRINTER.

As all this started the moment I set up my printer, I would find it extraordinary that a nearby neighbour happened to install a 9020 on the same day.  So it is still a mystery to me as to where the network connection no. (1) above is coming from.

Please help.  At this stage I would like to achieve one thing, and that is to stop network connection with SSID      HP-Setup<BA_OfficeJet Pro 9020        showing up at all (as it is unsecured).

HP Recommended

@ThePurchaser

You mentioned that your neighbor setup an HP 9020 printer right?

This HP-Setup<BA_OfficeJet Pro 9020 may not be your printer since you said this SSID still shows up even when WiFi is off on the printer.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Krazy Toad but I do NOT know if a neighbour also happened to set up a 9020 on the same day as me.  What I said was that it would be an extraordinary coincidence if they did (but it was the only thing I could think of as to why HP-Setup<BA_OfficeJet Pro 9020  was showing up even when all wireless connections on my printer were off.

I just tested it again, and the moment I turned on my 9020 printer, that network connection appears on my computer's list of available connections.  BUT does not show on the printer's list of available connections.

I am still very uncomfortable that, if someone uses the unsecured network connection HP-Setup<BA_OfficeJet Pro 9020 , they could access my printer, printer information or even my computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.