Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
IPad Pro, Laserjet MFP M234sdwe
iOS

I am trying to print labels on my Laserjet MFP M234sdwe but the HP Smart app on my iPad Pro does not allow me to choose paper type and the shipping labels come out smeared.  Is there a way to choose the paper type?  It is defaulting to plain paper.  I've done a search and have not come up with a solution here.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Repairatrooper 

Thanks.

Agreed about the manual.

I've run across differences (of course) between where the settings are located - Laser printers do have their own layout.

That said, this seems odd.

Thanks for checking back.

I'll tag the mods and see if someone can take a look.

@BetsyQuilter 

I've sent the question to the moderators for Review.

I explained that we cannot find the EWS setup for Tray and Paper setup in the manual.

You could certainly try contacting Concierge assistance - open your printer's home page to find the contact information.

Assuming HP+ supports knows the printer, contacting them yourself might be much faster - our Review process is internal to the Community and is not a direct conduit to HP Support.

HP LaserJet MFP M234sdwe Printer 

Open HP+ Printer Homepage > Concierge Help > Click the Contact Us link in the Orange box

Main series website (non + model) includes any missing "Category" sections not found in the HP+ printer site

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@BetsyQuilter 

HP Smart Mobile requires that you select your paper size / type size before opening and submitting the job for print.

Set / Adjust the paper in Tray and Paper Management.

I believe the setup is the same or at least quite similar for your LaserJet printer.

EWS – Browser – Tray and Paper Management

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

If applicable, check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)

Click Apply to save changes

EWS - HP Smart for Mobile - iOS

Open HP Smart (for mobile)

Open Settings

Open Add / Set Up a Printer 

Scroll down, Click, Tray and Paper

As Available:  Check / Adjust settings in Advanced

EWS - HP Smart – Windows

Start HP Smart Application

Printer Settings

In section Settings > Advanced

Tab Settings > Preferences

Tray and Paper Management

As Available:  Check / Adjust settings in Advanced

Example - HP Smart - Mobile - iOS - Main Menu

HP_Smart_Mobile_Main_Menu_9HP_Smart_Mobile_Main_Menu_9

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open HP+ Printer Homepage > Concierge Help > Click the Contact Us link in the Orange box

Main series website (non + model) includes any missing "Category" sections not found in the HP+ printer site

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks!  I can't find "Tray and Paper Settings" right now, and have to leave for a bit, but will try again when I get home.  Thanks for the prompt answer.

HP Recommended

@BetsyQuilter 

You are welcome.

After searching the User Guide for EWS / Embedded Web Server settings, I am stumped, too.

Laser printers are different, of course.

That said, I cannot find a way to view / adjust the tray and paper setup using EWS.

The printer lacks a full printer panel display - so no help there.

Rats.

What else?

Contact Concierge Assistance in your printer's homepage.

What else?

@Repairatrooper 

Any help to find how to "retain" set the Paper and Tray type on this laser printer?

Customer must adjust the paper size / type before printing when using HP Smart Mobile.

Normally, setting the paper size / type is not difficult.

I've either missed it or the setting / setup is hiding.

Thanks for any insight.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur the manual appears sparse on details about setting paper types. We have never had one of these in the shop so i don't even have a menu map. Perhaps one of the moderators can provide some details on what is settable through the EWS, because I am guessing that @BetsyQuilter is going to have to set the paper size type and type on the tray in order to get the printer to slow down and use the extra heat required to fuse labels properly. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

@Repairatrooper 

Thanks.

Agreed about the manual.

I've run across differences (of course) between where the settings are located - Laser printers do have their own layout.

That said, this seems odd.

Thanks for checking back.

I'll tag the mods and see if someone can take a look.

@BetsyQuilter 

I've sent the question to the moderators for Review.

I explained that we cannot find the EWS setup for Tray and Paper setup in the manual.

You could certainly try contacting Concierge assistance - open your printer's home page to find the contact information.

Assuming HP+ supports knows the printer, contacting them yourself might be much faster - our Review process is internal to the Community and is not a direct conduit to HP Support.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, @Dragon-Fur and @RepairaTrooper for the information.  I will check with the HP concierge service tomorrow.  Appreciate the help!

Betsy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.