Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Tango
Chrome OS

Hi

Up to ChromeOS release 73.0.3683.32 my Chromebook worked fine with my HP Tango printer via the HP Smart Android app.  Now, the app can't find the printer.  I can see the printers web page on my Chromebook via a browser, and other Android devices can use the HP Smart app to the printer sucessfully.  It appears Google have changed the way the network manager works in ChromeOS and the HP Smart app has issues finding a printer.

I've tried removing and installing the app again.  I've also tried wifi-direct.  Neither works.  Using the Google cloud print works although it's quite basic and no way as good as the Smart app with feedback from the Tango printer, which really relies on that app for support.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yep, the Chromebook is on the Beta thread of ChromeOS, although other apps that rely on IP address access to devices are still working fine, so hmmm...

This morning a new release of HP Smart was pushed out with "minor bugfixes"; which oddly allowed the HP Smart app on my Chromebook to see my other HP printer, a OfficeJet Pro 8620, but NOT the Tango!   I would be using the 8620 to print photos, but that all-in-one refuses blankly to work with photo paper.

However I did get the Tango working in the end with the Chromebook, but there were a few hoops to jump through...

1. Reset the Tango by holding down the wifi button at the back for 3 seconds.
  2. With a Android device at Android 6 or 7, access the HP Smart app and setup the Tango to use your wlan.  You can't use the Chromebook to do this as it locks up at "Connecting to your printer" step - even though it had connected directly to the printer via it's own wifi.  I couldn't get it to work with Android 8 or 9 devices either.
  3. Restart your Chromebook, access HP Smart and oddly enough the Tango printer reappears!

It now prints fine.  Odd that a) the 8620 was found with no issues and b) I had to reset the Tango, and c) we needed an update to the HP Smart app to get these to work, yes?!   

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Jon_Crawford,

Welcome to HP Support Community,

Print through the Google Chrome browser to your HP printer with the HP Print for Chrome app. You do not need to download any print drivers or software from the HP website or Google to print with the app.

I have found a wonderful document which should help you resolve this issue: HP Printers - Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App

To print from the Chrome browser, install HP Print for Chrome from the Chrome Web Store.

1. Open the Chrome browser, and then go to HP Print for Chrome (in English).

HP Print for Chrome app window opens.

2. Click ADD TO CHROME, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

The HP Print for Chrome window opens.

Example of the HP Print for Chrome window

3. Close the window, and then continue to the next step.

Alternatively, you can also go through these links: 

1. HP Printers - Printing from a Chromebook

2. HP Printers - Connecting and Using Google Cloud Print

Let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, the HP Print for Chrome app does not totally cover the functionality of the previously working HP Smart Android app.  For one, the Print for Chrome app doesn't correctly support borderless 10x15 or 13x18 photo prints, nor does it support the feedback the Tango printer sends back to the Smart app.  Remember, the Tango printer has no display to tell the user whats going on...

The fact that the smart app worked before in ChromeOS only suggests to me that it needs to be updated to work again.

HP Recommended

@Jon_Crawford,

In this scenario, I would personally suggest you contact our HP support team for further assistance.

HP support can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

Select the product type.

Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

Select the country from the drop-down.

You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jon, It looks like the chrome version that you have shared is a beta release. Reason why you are seeing issues.

73.0.36832019-2-8
(Linux, macOS, and Windows)
Blink 537.367.3Current Beta channel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_version_history

“I am an HP employee”
HP Recommended

Yep, the Chromebook is on the Beta thread of ChromeOS, although other apps that rely on IP address access to devices are still working fine, so hmmm...

This morning a new release of HP Smart was pushed out with "minor bugfixes"; which oddly allowed the HP Smart app on my Chromebook to see my other HP printer, a OfficeJet Pro 8620, but NOT the Tango!   I would be using the 8620 to print photos, but that all-in-one refuses blankly to work with photo paper.

However I did get the Tango working in the end with the Chromebook, but there were a few hoops to jump through...

1. Reset the Tango by holding down the wifi button at the back for 3 seconds.
  2. With a Android device at Android 6 or 7, access the HP Smart app and setup the Tango to use your wlan.  You can't use the Chromebook to do this as it locks up at "Connecting to your printer" step - even though it had connected directly to the printer via it's own wifi.  I couldn't get it to work with Android 8 or 9 devices either.
  3. Restart your Chromebook, access HP Smart and oddly enough the Tango printer reappears!

It now prints fine.  Odd that a) the 8620 was found with no issues and b) I had to reset the Tango, and c) we needed an update to the HP Smart app to get these to work, yes?!   

HP Recommended

I am on: Version 78.0.3904.106 (Official Build) (64-bit) of Chromebook and have Android HP Smart App. I've used this combination successfully with my M281 Color Laserjet in the past, but now it is doing the same thing described in this post, i.e. printer not found, even though it works fine from my phone with the same app. I need this app for scanning, so the other printer solutions mentioned make no sense for me, as they are printing only solutions from what I see. This HP Smart Android app was perfect for what I needed, and yes, I can use it on my phone. I would like to be able to use it on my Chromebook, too. If developers or support people from HP see this, please can you figure out why the HP Smart app is not connecting on the Chromebook Android HP Smart app now, though it worked in the past. It looks to me like there is some kind of networking detail that is overlooked when using the Chromebook Android HP Smart app. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.