Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet p1102w
Chrome OS

My problem is this:

I have 2 Android devices.
I have 3 Linux computers.
I have 2 Chromebooks. Samsung & HP
I have an HP Laserjet p1102w wireless printer.

Android & Linux can print perfectly.
Neither Chromebook can print (they each have the HP Print for Chrome installed)

The Chromebooks can see the printer and send the print data to the printer but nothing happens at the printer end. After a minute I get the pop-up "printer failure".

Curiously, I used to be able to print from both Chromebooks but, I don't print much and can't remember the last time a Chromebook printed successfully.

Any suggestions to remedy this would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Greetings @mdurham,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to print from your Chromebook. However, you are able to print from other devices. 

Not to worry, I will be glad help. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

May I know the exact procedure you are using to print from your Chromebook?

If you are using the HP Print plugin to print from your Chromebook. Delete the plugin and install it back and check. 

If the issue persists, please do a power wash on the Chromebook and check. Click here for assistance. 

To know about the methods of printing from Chromebook, please refer to the below articles. 

HP Printers - Printing from a Chromebook

HP Printers - Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I reinstalled the HP Plugin.

I did a Powerwash

It's exactly the same as my original description. It will not print.

PS.

Even an iPad will print.

Thanks anyway, Mike

HP Recommended

Screenshot 2017-05-16 at 10.35.25.png

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the steps suggested. Are you able to access the EWS page of the printer on your Chromebook? Capture the IP address of the printer and enter it on any browser on your Chromebook and check. Let me know if you are able to open the EWS page.

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I can access the printers EWS setup pages. 

HP Recommended

@mdurham

Hi,

as @Chimney_83 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I have read your post comprehensively. 

I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I suggest you to review the steps from this link. These steps usually help to fix printing related issues in Chromebooks. 

I hope this does the trick. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Why did you ask me if I can access the printers EWS if there would be no follow up? If you don't know how to fix problems I would rather that you said so immediately and not waste my time. Anyone can redirect people to web page links.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, if you can open the EWS page of your printer on your Chromebook, this means that your Chromebook is able to communicate with the printer. Once you print a document on your Chromebook, check the print queue on the EWS page. If the print job is getting stuck in the queue. 

Assign a static ip or manual ip to the printer by following the procedure mentioned below. 

• Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
  • Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
  • Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

If the issue persists, recommend you use any other method to print from your Chromebook. Google cloud print

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The Status is: Online, before and after the non-printing.

I can see that the printer is receiving data packets as the "Total Packets Received:" in Network statistics increases each time I try to print from a Chromebook (or anything else)

The printers address has always been static.

So I guess that's about all we can do. Thanks for trying to help. Maybe it will work when I get a different model or brand of printer.

Cheers,

Mike Durham

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.