Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY Photo 7858
Android 9.0 Pie

I'm trying to print photos from my Android 9 device to my new ENVY Photo 7858 printer.  I have the latest HP Print Service Plugin and HP Smart apps installed.  Wi-Fi direct printing is disabled, and I have manually added the printer in HP Print Service >> Settings >> Discovery >> Manage added printers.  I'm not too particular as to whether the printer is connected to my mobile device via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, but I found that Wi-Fi direct printing was taking over my mobile's wifi connection and disconnecting it from my home network (bad call HP).  The problem now is that when I attempt to print a photo from HP Smart >> Print Photos >> [my selected account/photo] >> Print, I get a prompt that says, "Wi-Fi Not Configured," prompting me to configure wifi.  As nearly as I can tell, the HP Print Service Plugin is able to detect the printer fine, so I'm not sure what's going on.  Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@pcpro178, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Wifi-direct is used when you do not have access to a wireless router. Connect the printer and the phone to your home wireless network.

• Make sure the printer and the phone are connected to the same wireless network.
  • Either a 2.4GHz network or a 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks

Use the HP Smart app to print from your Android device as shown in this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This, unfortunately, does not help.  From my Android 9 device, the HP Smart app is able detect the printer.  It even shows the ink levels.  The problem is that when I attempt to print a photo it prompts me to configure Wi-Fi and will not let me continue until I have configured Wi-Fi (presumably for Wi-Fi direct).  The printer is already detected via my home Wi-Fi, and I should not have to use Wi-Fi direct.

This is the process I am attempting to use:

1. Open HP Smart app.  (HP Print Service Plugin app is already installed.)

2. Tap tile for Print Photos.

3. Tap my Google Photos account.

4. Select my photo of interest from my Google Photos account to view Preview.

5. Tap the Print icon at the bottom-left of the screen. -- This is where I get the prompt for "Wi-Fi Not Configured Would you like to set up Wi-Fi now?"

Clicking OK on the prompt opens my Wi-Fi manager, so that I can presumably select another network.  Clicking Cancel takes me back to the photo preview.

I have two Windows 10 PCs already connected to the printer over my home Wi-Fi network.  They are able to print without any issues.

HP Recommended

@pcpro178

If you have already tried reinstalling the HP Smart app and the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.