cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
candrew57
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Connecting My Printer To My WiFi Instantly Kills My Network(s)

HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Basically, connecting my printer to my wi-fi kills my wi-fi. First, some background:

I have been perfectly happy using my HP Envy 7640 over my home Wi-Fi for around two years now, give or take. The only things that bothered me were that my wireless home phone system would sometimes knock out my Wi-Fi (and vice versa), and I also knew I could get better bandwidth on a 5gHz network.  I know I can change the channels and get rid of the interference - forget that. I really just upgraded my router for the speed. And I know the printer is 2.4 only - the bandwidth is for my laptop and other 5gHz devices.

So, I upgraded to a Linksys dual-band router that's been out for a couple years. (Yes, I made sure the firmware is up to date.) I installed it over the weekend, and everything worked fine up until I set up the printer. Within 10 seconds of the printer connecting to the network, BOTH my 2.4 and 5gHz networks crash.

Every.

Single.

Time.

So, needless to say, it's definitely the printer connection's fault. I just can't figure out why. I have other 2.4 devices connected to the router with absolutely no problem. And yes, I'm making sure I'm connecting to the 2.4gHz network. In case you're wondering, I got my dns, gateway, and subnet from using ipconfig in command prompt on my laptop through the 2.4 network. So that's what I use for manual settings unless stated otherwise. Here's what I've tried so far:

- just plain try to make the printer work with the onboard Wi-Fi wizard

- set up a static IP for the printer in my router, then used Auto settings in the printer

- set up a static IP for the printer in my router, and manual settings including static IP in the printer

- set up static IP and tried Google's DNS servers for my DNS

- set up static IP in the router and put the router's IP in the manual printer settings (vs. the printer's static IP)

- turned off IPv6 in addition to the above steps

- turned off Wi-Fi direct in addition to the above steps

- download the HP print & scan doctor (Just connect your printer to your wi-fi to solve your problem!)

- go through the steps with the HP online automated assistant 

If it makes a difference, the printer is already signed up for Instant Ink from when I had my 2.4 single band, and the printer actually worked. Thankfully I kept that router, and it uses the same power supply cord and everything, not to mention I kept the same network name and password (at least for my 5gHz), so it's mostly  just plug & play switching out the routers until I can figure this out.

If you can solve this, you'll have my gratitude. If not, while I'm grateful for your input, don't expect any kudos or "accepted solutions". Not being rude, just letting you know so you don't waste your time if it's going to offend you that your answer didn't solve my problem. I have already searched the topic and found "answers" that weren't really answers at all, but were still marked as "solutions" and wasted my time.

In the meantime, I'll work on changing the channel on my 2.4 so at least it won't drop with the interference... some consolation.

How I feel reading some of the other "solutions":

"What do I do if my pod malfunctions?"

"Oh, pods are failsafe - they never malfunction."

"Then why am I here talking with you, 90 years early?"

-pause-

"It's not possible for you to be here."

- Passengers, 2016

1 REPLY 1
asmita6658
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,452 14,454 1,431 1,707
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @candrew57

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation