Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Hello,

Yesterday I successfully connected the printer to my home network with the app. Easy setup, install, etc. Then, because I have a small space, I unplugged the printer and moved it into my closet so that I don't have to have it out all the time.

Switch to today. I pulled it out, plugged it in, and tried to print. Nothing happened. I finally had to turn on WiFI Direct, which was a rigamarole, let me tell you. No support, no docs, no book. I can print from my phone, but I can't be connected to the Internet at the same time which makes working in the cloud and needing to print pretty impossible. And makes this printer a paper weight!

That said, I finally deleted the driver from the Utilities, reinstalled HP Smart app, and was able to get the app to find my wifi network. NOW, though, the app is telling me that the password is incorrect. LOL.

Help? What happened? I can't find a firmware update for a Mac anywhere, so don't give me that BS. I've uninstalled, installed, turned off, turned on, unplugged, you name it. Printer won't connect to wifi on the same computer where, the 24 hours prior before unplugging it from the wall, it had.

Shouldn't be this **bleep** hard, you guys.

: insert shrug emoji :

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@angryuser2022, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand you are trying to connect the printer to the wireless network.

Wifi-Direct option is used if you do not have access to a personal wireless router.

For more info, refer to - HP printer setup (Wi-Fi Direct)

Note: There will be no internet connection on the computer while using this option. The default password is 12345678

You may use the WPS button to connect the printer. Restart the router and the printer.

Kindly follow the steps mentioned in this document -  Connecting an HP Printer Using Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)

• Make sure the printer and the Mac are connected to the same wireless network. 
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both networks.
  • Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

• This printer supports WPA/WPA2 encryption, check if the router is on the same encryption method. If using WEP or WPA-PSK+FT change it to WPA-PSK

You may also refer to - HP printer setup (Wi-Fi network) and HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nothing worked. Eventually the printer wouldn't turn on. I gave it a new home.

HP Recommended

@angryuser2022, I'm sorry to know that.

If the printer does not power on, follow the steps mentioned in this document - HP printer does not turn on

If you need further assistance, let me know.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.