Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5544
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For some reason or other, my printer refuses to print in colour. I use the HP Smart App on my (new) laptop which allows me to set various sttings. The default is always monochrome, however, when I change the setting to colour, and click OK, it goes back to momochrome!! Any ideas??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dotdotdash Greetings from the HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, Try the below steps to resolve the issue,

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Cringe

Welcome back to HP Forums

I would like to help

Please print a Quality Diagnostic Page and let me know if Colour is printing

1. Make sure the printer input tray is loaded with plain white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic report prints.

Figure : Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic report

Image: Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic report.

Keep me posted

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding. I did as you suggested and the page prints all the colors!

HP Recommended

Hi @Cringe, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned after trying out the steps your issue got resolved.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,
Have a great day! 🙂

Also, click on "Accept as Solution" to the post that solved your issue, it will help others to find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been misunderstood! Although I said that the Print Quality Diagnositic printed in colour, I am still experiencing problems printing in colour.

Using the HP Smart App on Windows 10. The default is always monochrome. When I change it to colour, I get the following message :"Color was changed because of a conflict with another printer setting"

I don't understand this as I only have the one printer.

I still need help.

HP Recommended

@Cringe, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you can only print the test page in colour.

Have you tried printing from a different application does the issue persist?

It sounds like a driver issue uninstall the printer software from the root level and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features. 
Select your HP printer. 
Select Uninstall. 
In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers. 
In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.” 
Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo. 
Type printui.exe /s and click OK. 
Click on Drivers tab. 
Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom. 
Select OK. 
Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows. 
Close Devices and Printers. 

Update the full feature printer software using this link. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue now I have a new HP Pavillion laptop with Windows 10.  My HP Envy 5544 prints successfully but only in monochrome.  I have tested it since with my old laptop which runs on Windows 10, and the printer prints perfectly in colour.  I am having other issues with other software too which is so frustrating!  Please can you help!

UPDDATE:  I uninstalled the printer and re-installed it and it is now printing perfectly in colour!

HP Recommended

well mine will also print a test page in calour because there nothing wrong with the printer its windows and it only prints in BLACK!

HP Recommended

@dotdotdash Greetings from the HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, Try the below steps to resolve the issue,

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Dear Clever Person,    Riddle_Decipher(HP Support Agent)
It was a bit scary but we did it - many thanks.😁
There were a lot of HP files already on the computer installed in 2012 when we bought it so I did not remove these.     as I knew I bought the printer in 2017 so just removed the ones around then.

It seems each time we have these updates we always have bother - last time it was excel and word not opening and I had to get a person in to fix as it was urgent. 
so many thanks indeed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.