Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M128fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently got a MFP M128FW and was excited about the HP eprint functionality,

1. Printed is connect via ethernet cable to the router.
  2. Installed the HP printer and scanner driver in the PC/laptop from the HP website.
  3. Updated printer date and time to current.
  4. Seached HP forums and found 2 posts  complaining  on the ‘stuck/forever spinning’ Connecting message
  5. Then  Method 1 - On the LCD touchscreen menu, Cliked on ‘Web Services’ > Enable  Web Services > OK and then nothing - the displayed message is stuck at ‘Connecting...’, and the HP logo circles keeps spinning. Nothing happens until I cancel. 
    1. A3777FBB-7CEB-4B79-9D91-26597660EFBA.jpeg
  6. Then Mehod 2 - Types the printer's IP address broswer URL and navigated to printer 's web page > then  ‘HP Web Services’ tab > Web Services Setup >  clicked ‘Enable’. Nothing - the screen keeps refreshing and messages states ‘Connecting...’. Nothing happens until I cancel.
    1. Updated the IP address to manual and assigned a static IP from router
    2. Updated printer network DNS to opendns.
    3. Disabled IPv6
    4. 36523927-C2CF-4E27-88D8-19857B34A147.jpeg
    5. C7DD510B-EE50-44F9-8C9D-2DEAAA3822C6.jpeg  
  7. Power cycled modem, router, printer and laptop multiple times - still ‘Enable  Web Services’ is stuck in  ‘Connecting...’.
  8. The printer otherwise works fine -  able to print and scan from wifi and Ethernet connected phones, laptop etc.

I'm helpless now 😥😓- thought i did the right series of steps, and the display message is still stuck on ‘Connecting...’ and unable to connect to  Web Services. Please help. Thanks much.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Looks like I'm going to reply to this myself  😂

2 issues identified and after searching this comunity

1. Hp ePrint Web services cannot be enabled - appears stuck at connecting
    1. Resolution - This requires a firmware update - the Nov 3 FW release aka "..Update_20201012.exe"
    2. The new FW supposedly has a secure key cloud cert which is included in the nov 3 release - HP's Cloud signed public key cert has expired - without this Printer's Web Services cannot connect to HP Cloud - so printer will NEVER connect to their network without an authenticated public key - that comes via the certificate - and this is in the latest FW - ELSE HP ePrint services are junked!
    3. HP's Release notes
      1. HP LaserJet Pro M127 M128 Series Firmware Enhancements and Fix List for datecode 20201103
      2. Update certificate to maintain a secure connection to HP Cloud.
  2. This led  to the 2nd issue
    1. Current firmware in printer 20200531 and Latest update on HP website - Nov 3 release 20201012
    2. Tried to update firmware HP_M127_M128_FW_Update_20201012.exe using USB cable to Windows 10 PC - The updater software shows updated - but the printer still has the older firmware!! 😫😬
    3. KNOWN ISSUE - Firmware bug in Windows 10, where the updater shows that the installation went successful, but it does not update
      1. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M127-M128-Series-Fi...
      2. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M127fw-firmware-update...
      3. People are angry 😡 😠 - HP has not responded yet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.