Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740
Other

Printing error "failed to change the setting" "try again"

My mobile device is a Samsung Note20 Ultra and my printer is an officejet 5740. I have installed and uninstalled the HP Print Service plugin.  I have disabled and turned on again the Android System WebView. The printer says successfully installed mobile device but error above prevent printing of email. Q

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

This seems to be an Android issue, affecting any printer and not related to any specific printer manufacturer.

From the Play Store go to your apps and locate the latest Android System Webview update, click the 3 dots and uninstall its latest updates, then try printing again.

As a reference, see below discussion from Samsung:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8/wireless-email-print-not-working/m-p/1461888/highlight...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I had the same issue. Been printing for years from my Note 8 to various printers until 2 days ago after the chrome update.  Android System Webview greyed out and disabled because with the new update of chrome, chrome is now in charge of Android System webview and is activating/enabling Android System WebView, and disables the stand alone app, greying it out.  The problem is that the print plug ins from Samsung, Brother, and HP and so on still look to the stand alone android system webview app/subroutine even though Chrome has "hijacted it."  After many hours trying to figure this out, I reinstalled the "factory version" of chrome and found that the stand alone Android System Webview App is again enable and working.  Now, I can print from my device to any printer, as we have several, HP, Brother, and so on.  I don't know when the plug ins will start playing nice with chrome, but the meaning of the "failed to change settings, retry," is because the plug ins are trying to access android system webview app/subroutine and cannot, as they are blocked there, and they are not looking to chrome controlled android system webview for the system settings they need to send data to the printer.  Hope this helps, as I have tried everything else including the developer setting suggestions and they didn't work. I figured this out when I couldn't print from my various accounts on Gmail, but I could print if I accessed Gmail through chrome, same as I would on my desktop. So if you cannot print in the "normal" way from your device, BUT you can through Chrome, then this fix should work for you.   I haven't seen this "fix" or temporary work around. I am hoping the the plug ins will catch up or Android OS redirects them to chrome .  SINCE GOOGLE Developers of Chrome and the Android OS developers programmed this error message to appear when there is a android system webview issue, I don't know why they haven't fixed this by now, as it seems the problem goes back at least 4 years for various people on various Android devices using Chrome.  HOPE SOMEONE AT GOOGLE will see this post and fix the incompatibility their Chrome browser updates, Android System Webview, and the Printer Plug In Apps are causing as it is creating problems for many.  Best regards. Good Luck  Stay Healthy.

HP Recommended

Thanks,  you be safe as well.

HP Recommended

"Please fix this!" I have a samsung note and this started happening to me as well recently. Since our lives revolve around things working correctly schooling from home, working from home etc. HP needs to fix this problem pronto. I have uninstalled and re-installed both HP Print Aps "Failed to change the settings. Try again."

HP Recommended

This is very frustrating.  Up until a few weeks ago I had no problem printing from my Samsung android phone.  Now I get the failed to change settings error message.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled HP Print and HP Smart apps, but still get the same error message.  I installed Samsung Print Service Plugin and I still get the same error message.  So much for chatting with HP's Virtual Agent **bleep**, that is of no help.  I called 3 different HP Customer Services numbers and they refer you back to the Virtual Agent and this site.  Does anyone have a solution, or a HP Customer service number where you can speak to a live tech person?

HP Recommended

@Injunlee

Welcome to the HP support community.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not been contacted by anyone from HP as you suggested would happen. As you can see from other comments, we are all facing this issue. It has nothing to do with my printer, I have been printing for months until recently. I see another person has felt it was a Chrome update that has caused this problem??? We need a solution!!

HP Recommended

To all who have responded, thank you for your time and suggestions.  Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same printer problem.  I have not been contacted by an HP support person as of yet.  I do appreciate that the HP Support Agent has reached out to the HP team on this issue; but with many people working from home, it seems that we need all of our electronic devices to be working as best as possible.  The loss of the ability to print from my phone is not just frustrating but more importantly,  it is affecting my productivity. Please find and apply a fix soon! 

HP Recommended

Hi @Zasu @Sr09 @Injunlee

Without getting too technical and having you explore inside your Android phone, did you try these steps?

1. Sync your Chrome app so you don't lose the bookmarks, or export the bookmarks to save them to import them later.

2. Go to Google Play Store

3. Click on the 3 bars on the upper left, that's the menu

4. Click on My Apps & games

5. Find Google Chrome and click on it.

6. Uninstall it.  This will only uninstall the Chrome update and leave you with the Chrome app you had before all this started.

7. Exit out

8. Go to whatever you were trying to print, and try printing.

Please let me know if that worked for you.

If yes, then it's the compatibility issue I was talking about in my comment above, between the Chrome Update, Android System Webview, and all the android device print plug ins.

I didn't have any luck uninstalling and installing any of the Cell Phone Android plug ins or printer apps because they all seemed to be having the same issue with not knowing to look to the Chrome update for the Android System Webview settings they need to preview the print you want to print and to send the data to the printer.  Android System Webview, if you search for it, is kind of a universal browser front for the these apps that they need to "plug" into to get the preview in front of you and to send the data to the printer.  I found the worse issue occurs with gmail printer, go figure, since all these apps are made by Google, you would think they would play nice with each other and the plug ins they require to function.

I hope @SandyTechy20 notifies the proper HP people to fix this compatibility issue.

Also, if that fixed it and your problem comes back, first check the Chrome App in the Google Play Store again. It is the only one that updates by itself without permission, and I have yet to find a way to stop that.  Each time I have a problem printing, I have to do the above steps to uninstall the update, in order to print again to HP or Brother or other printers.  Google has not fixed their Chrome update as of today, and I posted the problem inside their Chrome App under reviews in the play store, without response so far.  Other apps have responded to my review within a day to fix their apps.  Search for "destroys ability to print" to find it in the Chrome app reviews, if you want, and perhaps add your own.  Maybe a chorus of us will get their attention.  Stay Safe Stay Healthy

HP Recommended

Hi,

This seems to be an Android issue, affecting any printer and not related to any specific printer manufacturer.

From the Play Store go to your apps and locate the latest Android System Webview update, click the 3 dots and uninstall its latest updates, then try printing again.

As a reference, see below discussion from Samsung:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8/wireless-email-print-not-working/m-p/1461888/highlight...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.