Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5055
Chrome OS

Please help me. Google has notified me it will no longer be supporting my one-year-old Cloud printer as of Dec. 31. 2020.  HP ENVY 5055. I don't know how to find out what I need for a printer as I need to print from home. I'm pretty scared for I don't know where to turn for help. My IT person was of no help to me. Said to call HP to see if they had a patch. ????

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@andi28, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Was the message from Google or was it an advertisement/adware?

Not to worry, this printer is compatible with Chrome OS and it would be supported after Dec 31st, 2020 as well.

To know how to print from your Chromebook, refer to this document. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar, oh how happy I am someone reached out. Thank you so much. I have been using the new cloud printer I purchased one year and 5 months ago, HP Envy 5055 and am pleased with it even though it used to go offline often and even though I can only print one copy of a document instead of several, but that hasn't caused me any problems really. I think I read there IS a way to print multiple copies somewhere months ago and my printer has NOT been going offline in recent months as it used to often.

But those are not the reasons I am nervous and cannot find help. In answer to your question: was the notification possibly adware or malware, I don't remember and can't find it BUT every time I use my home printer a little sign tells me "this printer will not be supported after December 31, 2020. It tells me that in the area where the printing levels used to be. So, I click "print" for a document then that takes me to the page where it shows what I am wanting to print and offers me color or black and white and that is where the little red font tells me "this printer will not be supported after Dec 31, 2020.  I am using my ACER Chromebooks to print. 

Has this information been helpful to you? Am I going to have to buy another printer and if so, will it be a regular printer that I used to use with my Windows PC? Oh! Forgot to tell you, the reason the ACER will be no longer be supported is that the printer will no longer be in BETA, but a Network something or other. I am clueless at this point. Thanks so much again, for reaching out. I have always used HP printers for the few jobs I need a printer for.  

HP Recommended

@andi28

The printer may go out of warranty after 1 year of its purchase, but it will still be supported by all OS platforms and by HP. A printer model goes obsolete only after 5 years.

Is the printer enrolled in Instant Ink? If yes, from January 2021, the free plan will no longer be available.

Apart from this, there is no need for you to worry about the printer.

I have attached a document on how to print from Chromebook in my previous post. Yes, you can print a multi-page document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar, what a thoughtful person you are. I can only hope you are right and that I can still print after Dec. 31, 2020, using my installed HP ENVY 5055 printer. I didn't subscribe for any ink regular deliveries and can't understand why I get the message about migrating to a different printer. YouTube has a couple of podcasts about it however I can't understand them at all. So, I came here. 

I appreciate your time and attention to my issue, Kumar. Thanks so much.

andi28

HP Recommended

@andi28

You are welcome. HP will not stop supporting this printer yet. However, if the printer is out of warranty, it cannot be replaced if it has a hardware issue and you may have to pay for technical support to resolve any concerns on phone calls.

Feel free to contact us in case you have any issues after Dec 31, 2020. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again, Kumar. If the printer stops printing on Dec. 31, 2020, and is out of warranty you mentioned my next step would be technical support for a fee. My question is: where do I find technical support since no one in my area does this kind of work and won't come to my house. I live in a small town.  

Next question, if Google Cloud will no longer be supporting my printer, should that be the case, and since Google Chromebook is leaving Beta for a Network something or the other, WILL A STANDARD PRINTER THEN WORK ON MY DEVICES?  As in, I go to Walmart and buy an HP printer that is not Cloud-Ready?  Like I used to have on my Windows desktop?  

Respectfully,

andi28

HP Recommended

I have been printing wirelessly from my Chromebook to my LaserJet Pro MFP for years using Google Cloud print, which is going away at the end of the month.  When I try to print without CloudPrint I see my printer listed and I know both computer and printer are on the network, but I get the message "Cannot connect to printer'.

HP Recommended

Thank you for trying to help this gal figure out what to do on December 31, 2020 when my cloud printer will no longer be supported by Google Cloud Print.  I just bought the ****** a year and a few months ago after ditching my Windows desktop and HP printer to stay with my Chromebooks. 

I appreciate your sharing your info with me but I couldn't follow it as I am not that printer-savvy. I just wonder since Google is moving from beta to network something or the other if a regular standard printer that is in use with all non-cloud printers would work. I have to buy something and soon. YouTube has info on this problem in 3 videos but they are way too techie for me to understand.  At least the issue is being addressed. I like my HP Cloud Printer but I guess it will soon be useless. I am very sad and depressed about this issue. I don't know where to turn for help I can understand. 

Welcome to the board, my friend, and thank you for trying to help me with a solution. Maybe someone will come through with a solution I can understand with my limited printer knowledge. After 20 years of being online with printers and never having a problem, I am just frustrated. I wonder if I should invest in a Windows 10  laptop and just grab an inexpensive printer. I hate to do that for I have six Chromebooks. lol. They fill my needs and I love them.  

May you have a wonderful holiday season,

andi28

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.