Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DeskJet 2640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In an attempt to bring a little security to my HP printer, I turned off ssid broadcasting in the EWS. I assigned an administrater password as well so no one could make changes. Now I'm locked out. 

In an attempt to recover, I subsequently restored wireless settings following the steps in the device troubleshooting booklet that came with the printer. Now, my printer isn't connected to my wireless network, I can't connect to it using wifi direct because it isn't broadcasting a ssid and I'm really frustrated. 

I attempted to seek the help of HP professionals utilizing chat and each time, they went through the basic steps of trying to setup the connection to wireless (despite my explanation) and just ended the chat when that didn't work. I have never encountered such rudeness from a support person in my life. To simply end a support session with no notice to the consumer you are supposedly trying to help. I literally watched him close all windows on my system and bring up the zoho remote session dialog box and click end session without saying a word to me. If this is how HP supports their customers, I have to rethink my continued subscription with Instant Ink and I will be sure to make sure everyone I have recommended this service to also severs the relationship, because it's unacceptable to treat a customer like that. 

Now that I have that off my chest, Does someone know how to reset the deskjet 2640 to factory defaults or at the very least guide me on how to connect to a printer via wifi direct that isn't broadcasting a wireless SSID and for the life of me, I don't know what it is. 

Please and Thank you. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@timelord914, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I see that you are no able to access the EWS page of the printer. As this printer does not have a touchscreen, there is no option to reset the EWS page credentials. The wireless settings can be restored to factory defaults by holding the wireless button and the cancel button for 3 seconds.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.