Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY Photo 7830
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I had to buy a new printer recently as my last HP died of hardware failure. I decided on an HP Envy Photo 7830 which I have connected to my network wirelessly. I can print to it / access it from all devices on my neetwork however it cannot seem to get the web services setup which is frustrating as i would like to use instant ink (and take up the free trial). 

It is accessed primarly by Apple devices with no issue. The Web Access test page tells me there is no issue. I can access the EWS page and the setup fails there too. I can't see any new firmware (although the firmware updater crashes on high sierra) so that is a dead end. I have tried a factory reset without any luck. I have an account on hpconnected and I try to entry the various claim codes i can find but i am always told they are invalid. If it helps the registration process appears to fail to. 

At this point i am lost and frustarted so any help would be appreciated. Unfortunately the telephone support rns hours that ensure i will never be able to call whislt at home so this foru is my only hope.

Thanks to all in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I made progrees on the issue [not due to support as there is no option available to me outside business hours]. I suspect there is some nasty geolocation checking that does not like my ISP [Origin Broadband] despite them being UK based and me being sat here in London. I setup a personal hotspot off my iPhone and switched the connection...this allowed the printer to connect and obtain an email address. At this point i could switch back to my normal network and all was fine...the geolocation mess appears to be just for enrollment. 

This said i do not seem to have the 4mth free instant ink promo that was advertised when i purhcase applied to my account and no idea how to get that fixed but at least i made some progress. I wanted to update this thread in case any others had issues of a similar nature in the future. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Stowerling,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. 

I understand you are having trouble while accessing the web-services. Let’s try to assign a manual DNS address. This normally helps to fix similar issues.

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

1. Turn off the router by pressing the power button or disconnecting the power cord.

2. Turn off the printer.

3. Close all running programs on your computer, and then shut down the computer.

4. Press the power button or reconnect the power cord to the router, and then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.

5. Turn on the printer.

6. Turn on the computer.

7. Try to turn on Web Services.

• First, make sure the printer firmware is up to date. 

You can either update the printer firmware directly from the printer control panel of download the software from HP support website. For more details, please click on this link.

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website.  You might need a Windows PC to run the firmware.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to  try and assign a manual DNS address. This normally helps to fix similar issues.

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)
  • Now try accessing the web services and check.

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - Cannot Connect to Web Services

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for the recomendation - i had already tried both. the router and modem have been cycled multiple times and I assigned the google DNS manually to the printer [i forgot to mention it when posting before].

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@Stowerling,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have already followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. In this scenario, I would personally suggest you contact our HP Cloud support for further assistance. 

I'm going to send you a private message with the information which will help you get in touch with our HP support.

Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the support line is only open when I am at work and debugging this remotely is unlikely to work. 

Is there anyway you can arrange for someone to pick the case up over email or be able to call me late in the day after work (8pm UK time)?

HP Recommended

@Stowerling,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for trying - sadly the support process is far worse than i could ever imagine. At this point i feel i only have the options of trying to obtain a refund and either way i will be leaving for another brand of printers as forcing me to take a day vacation to deal with this issue just so i can call the telphone support is ridiculous.

HP Recommended

I made progrees on the issue [not due to support as there is no option available to me outside business hours]. I suspect there is some nasty geolocation checking that does not like my ISP [Origin Broadband] despite them being UK based and me being sat here in London. I setup a personal hotspot off my iPhone and switched the connection...this allowed the printer to connect and obtain an email address. At this point i could switch back to my normal network and all was fine...the geolocation mess appears to be just for enrollment. 

This said i do not seem to have the 4mth free instant ink promo that was advertised when i purhcase applied to my account and no idea how to get that fixed but at least i made some progress. I wanted to update this thread in case any others had issues of a similar nature in the future. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.