Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fn
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I have 2 printers added to my Mac (one with protcol Bonjour and owe with protocol IPv4). I downloaded the HP Easy Scan from the Apple Apps Store and it works from my LAN, but I have a remote High Sierra machine which connects to this LAN through a VPN and this machine get the error: "HP LaserJet Pro.... is currently unavailable. Please check if it is turned on and connected, or try again later".

I had a similar problem to print from the VPN machine. The Printer and scanner are added automatically as Bonjour devices. The solution to print over the VPN was adding an IP Printer. But I cannot find how to add the scanner with IP protocol.

Regards,

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Scanning relies on Bonjour and requires your network to support transferring multicast packets.

While using HP Jetdirect Socket allows standard connectivity for printing, scanning cannot be done without a proper Bonjour connection.

I highly doubt you will be able to scan over a VPN, such connectivity is likely too limited to allow the required network protocols for scanning.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

It's sad to read that. Why not to put to work the Scanner through an IP protocol (not only Bonjour). It is possible, but someone just decided not to offer that benefit. Too bad.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.