Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5530

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 5530 and when I configured my Aruba Instant-On product to offer both WPA2 and WPA3 Personal that printer it not connecting, going back to WPA2 only it works.  Yet I need to have both so that devices using WPA3 have better security.

Using a wireless sniffer I trace the association exchange between the HP Envy 5530 and the Aruba Instant-On AP and saw that the Association Request sent by the printer contained a copied RSN IE as seen from the AP's Beacon which included more than one AKM.

The 802.11 2016 spec clearly state that STA (such as the printer) shall include only one AKM:

The initiating STA's RSNE shall include one authentication and pairwise cipher suite from among
those advertised by the targeted AP in its Beacon and Probe Response frames. It shall also specify the group
cipher suite specified by the targeted AP. If at least one RSNE field from the AP.s RSNE fails to overlap
with any value the STA supports, the STA shall decline to associate with that AP.

Likely that wireless driver had this issue and since multiple AKMs are only getting used now with WPA3 and Hotspot such bugs now appears.

Any chance we could get a firmware fix for that printer?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@ykoehler 

Hello,

Make sure that the Protection Type (network encryption) for wireless network connection is set to WAP2- AES in your router. For WPA3 - AES, because not all current devices are compatible with this type of network encryption.

• WPA3 - AES: Is still in experimental phase and therefore some network devices may not be compatible with this network encryption.
As said above, unfortunately your HP ENVY 5530 printer is not compatible with this type of WPA3 - AES network encryption. Only WPA2 - AES is accepted by the latter.

Please 
restart the printer, computer, and router for solve this problem.
  1. Turn the printer off, and then wait 10 seconds.
  2. Disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.
  3. Turn off the computer or the device you are trying to print from.
  4. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer.
  5. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router, and then wait 30 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the router.
     NOTE: 
    Wait until internet service is restored. Internet service is interrupted while the router is off.
  7. Wait at least 3 minutes, then turn on the computer.
  8. Try connecting your printer to the wireless network again.

I remain at your disposal in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

As indicated, my router is configured for WPA2 AES + WPA3 AES, this is a mode where the AP offers both, the client has to pick, the HP envy doesn't and ask for both erroneously.

I am a wireless engineer at HPE, I can send you the wireshark trace, please share with your engineering team they will understand.  Such an issue will become more frequent as new router will make WPA2+WPA3 AES, even more, a default value than before, I wish you could fix my HP Envy 5530, but at least validate that your new HP printer do not have the issue.

Let me know how I can share the wireshark pcap file.

Rebooting my printer will not fix anything sorry... Changing my router back to WPA2 AES will prevent my other devices from using WPA3 AES on the same network which is a bummer that I am not going to do. 

WPA3 AES is no an experimental thing btw, it is a standard release as part of WFA under WiFi-6 and well tested.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.